PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thekiltedchaplain

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2011
After reading that so many folks will tuck away some tobacco to age, I just started by own tobacco cellar! So far its a modest 3 blends, but I'm sure it will grow over time. All are C&D: Billy Budd, Haunted Bookshop, and Bayou Morning. I've just stuck them in my closest to hang out for awhile. I do have one question. How long do you typically let a tobacco age before enjoying it? Does the time differ with different types of tobacco?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
How long do you typically let a tobacco age before enjoying it?

Oh you like to ask the easy questions don't you?

The answer is..... Wait for it..... :D
The problem is bringing yourself to opening that "special" tin when and if the time ever comes.

thekiltedchaplain

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2011
Yeah, I imagine that will be a problem. Can you let them age too long to where it would no longer benefit the tobacco?

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
my problem is haveing enough left overs to stash.

thats why i was so befuddled when i found my old grinder.
sa na ta ann na

fullbent

Can't Leave
May 6, 2011
Billy Bud and Haunted Bookshop are 2 of my favorite blends.I would say as long as it is kept sealed,it should stay good. :puffy:

jankomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2010
Tampa, FL
I have that problem with cigars already. I have some stuff in my aging humidor that has been aging for almost 10 years now. With my pipe tobacco it is easy so far because nothing is old enough. :)

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Every blend will react differently to aging but, as a general rule, blends which have a high sugar content respond better. Virginias, being among the highest in sugar, are considered to be the best candidates for aging, followed by orientals.
A year seems to be the first "turning point", you should see a very noticeable improvement. Aromatics tend to peak out after about 5 years. Virginias and Va/pers are said to keep improving for at least 30 years or longer.
Keep in mind that my idea of "improvement" may be very different than yours or anyone else's. The only thing that really matters is your opinion.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I find the Bayou Morning gets better after about a year or at least it seems better . In Virgina based blends if it smells like vinagar I reclose the Mason jar and let it age some more . One great thing about Masons jars is you can see the sugars rise to the surface of the tobacco inside . I like to look at my jars at least once a month to make sure they are not sweating inside . I do not open them , just check them for mold and color . You can see the change ever so subtle . This works well later in the process when your jars of the same blend that have been ageing longer than others . Some people who only smoke a bowl each day should probably use the baby food sized jars for thier cellars . A cellar is also great for blends you purchase and do not like , down the road you just might . As long as you have fun and enjoy your collection it adds to the smoking experiance whether the blends are better aged or not . Recently I opened a three year old jar of Rattrays 3noggins that was pure magic and mind you I smoke this blend in bulk every day not aged . So to me the cellar was worth the wait . The cellar also makes things more economical you can buy in bulk or each tin you set aside is like money in the bank just wait for the sales to stock up . If one were to fall on hard times ,it is nice to know you still enjoy your pipe if funds become limited . I can not stress enough have fun with it and subcomb to TAD . :puffpipe:

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
I built my inventory by simply buying in threes.
One for now.
One for later.
One for much later.
You will be surprised how quickly a nice cellar will fill doing it this way and it won't break the bank.
It will also give you a nice variety while you search out blends you enjoy. Once you've found some favorites then its bulk buying time.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Good idea mlaug . Though some stuff I buy five pounds at a time. May have to do that a wee bit differently . 8O

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
@mlaug : That is the process I've been using; buying in threes. Got my cellar up to about a 5 year supply. Now I just rotate in and out, and add as I find new tobaccos to try. I got some 1776 American Patriot several months back when it was stated to be a Penzance clone. At first I was really thrilled with it; take it or leave it. Bought four ounces so I put the rest in cellar. Tried some the other night, and after a couple months it was a much better smoke. Not Penzance, nor will it ever be, but having it rest in the cellar can make a world of difference.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
I still sock away bulk orders of blends I love, but the "Buy In Threes" plan has a lot of advantages. I think it really favors the new cellar builder looking to buy blends and build his inventory.
Its like gecko said, after awhile...one replaces what you use and one finds that there is always an aged blend of your favorite smoke ready to go.
Smoking older blends and sampling all the new ones while trying to decide what strikes my fancy is keeping me busy. :clap:
A busy pipe smoker is a happy pipe smoker. :puffpipe:
These are fantastic times for us. With internet access I can tap the knowledge base of a whole army of pipemen, chat with blenders, and keep abreast of new blends like no other time in history.
Its good to be king.

Status
Not open for further replies.