PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Yesterday I gave my newest Castello her maiden smoke. I am dedicating this pipe to Full Virginia Flake. I've never dedicated a pipe to a single blend before, but I want to keep this one pure!

Qhbi96y.jpg

R25uPGk.jpg

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Dedicating. I've been thinking about dedicating Dreams of Kadath to my Meer. It's smoke the best in a Meer. But I'm finding everything does. :rofl:

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Take the tag off before you smoke it though.

Lol! That photo is from the shop. I'm not that good a photographer!

I was thinking of leaving it on to see if it develops a patina!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I think dedicating is more a matter of whatever cake is present than anything else although certainly flavors accumulate in the shank and stem. Other than ghosting aromatics, if the cake is not happy with the new tobacco, reaming one built by latakia or perique that disagrees with the new tobacco is a painless way to avoiding dedication. Then too reaming is not necessary if you don't mind crossover flavors during the transition.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
In my mind the problem with dedicating a pipe is that you only get to smoke it when you smoke that blend. But the more pipes you have the more choices you have in pairing.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Thanks, everyone! I handled this pipe 3 or 4 times at the NASPC show, but I didn't want to buy on impulse and ended up not buying anything but raffle tickets. Luckily I took the shop's card. I just couldn't get this one off my mind. Fortunately, they still had it!

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I'm going to get locked in the stocks and have rotting veg lobbed at me for this and that's fine but I tend to dislike most Castello's. For the most part, their shapes just don't appeal to me. Many of them just look ugly and awkward and I know it's popular but the 55 is the worst offender. When in the sea rock rustication it looks like a donkey bo**ock and I have never wanted one of those hanging from my mouth either. I just can't see what others see in that one and I've really tried.
Of course, that's just my taste and I'm not to be taken seriously.
On the other hand, this one is proof to me that they do make pipes I like and I like this one a lot. I can see why this one kept talking to you when you walked away.
It seems that I like their execution of classic shapes rather than their classicly Castello shapes. If that makes any sense at all.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Jazz - I actually agree with you.... some Castello shapes do not appeal to me at all! The 55 is one of them(though the older ones were better). The Full Bent Egg is another. The ones I DO like though, I love! The 65 Bent Billiard, the 215, and of course the fancy Dublins! I do have an appreciation for "Classic" shapes with Italian flair.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Jazz - I actually agree with you.... some Castello shapes do not appeal to me at all! The 55 is one of them(though the older ones were better). The Full Bent Egg is another. The ones I DO like though, I love! The 65 Bent Billiard, the 215, and of course the fancy Dublins! I do have an appreciation for "Classic" shapes with Italian flair.
The 65's are interesting to me in that some I really like and some suffer the same ugly awkwardness to me that I previously spoke of. It's kind of hard to put my finger on but with the 65 it's something to do with the Shank to bowl transition.
Perhaps we are similar with regard to Castello's. I either love them or hate them and I never seem to be indifferent to one. You can have all the 215's though buddy, you'll get no competition from me on those. :D
Anyway, that one above is a real winner. Enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.