PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdaniels

Lurker
May 5, 2014
I have been lurking around this forum for a little while. Started smoking a pipe last year for a few months, but really got back into, and started consistently smoking, a few months ago.
I recently bought a couple of Boswell Pokers (found out about them originally from a friend that grew up not too far from their shop), which are my 2nd and 3rd pipes (I am outdoors a lot and love the shape because it reminds me of the outdoors in its ruggedness). The other pipe I have is a straight billiard house pipe from my local pipe shop. When inspecting the pipes after receiving them I noticed a few things about the pipes.
The first is that I had a little bit of a difficult time passing a cleaner through them. I was able to get a cleaner through rather easily after bending the tip slightly, however. After getting them to pass a cleaner I took the stems off and checked the draft holes. I noticed that they were both drilled pretty much centered left to right, but were drilled at the bottom of the shank, which would explain the difficulty of passing a pipe cleaner without and fidgeting. I ask this because my other straight pipe (a lot less expensive) passes a cleaner no problem and is drilled centered, so this took me slightly by surprise as it is the only other experience I have. Other than that the pipes are constructed very well. They seem sturdy, feel nice in the hand, and are drilled to the bottom and center of the chamber. Does anyone that have had, or currently has, any of Boswell's straight pipes (or other pipes for that matter I would assume) have any experience with this as to if it would cause problems or not?
The second thing is the conical shape of the chamber. Out of all of the reviews and videos I read/watched talking about their pipes I did. It hear any talk about this. My only other pipe has what I would consider the "normal" rounded shape at the bottom of the bowl. I attempted to do a little research on this, but did not come up with much. Does anyone have any experience with the conical chamber shape?

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Your Boswells should treat you fine as they are known to be good smokers. I would not worry to much about the draft hole not passin a cleaner straight through without a little manipulation. Some may argue that this is unacceptable in a straight pipe, but I disagree at the price point Boswell is producing pipe. The only time I would worry is if smoking it causes it to gurgle or create wetness due to the extra turbulence. THere have been many a pipe that could not pass a cleaner that smoked wonderfully.
As for the conical bowl, some prefer certain types of blends in them over the U shaped bowls. It is all about preference. I checked most of my pipes and it appears that about half are U shaped and half are conical and I can't tell much of a difference.

mrdaniels

Lurker
May 5, 2014
Thanks for the thoughts, clickklick. I guess it wouldn't hurt to clarify that I have yet to smoke either of the pipes, but that should change over the next few days.

stevesutera

Lurker
Jul 29, 2013
I now own three Boswell pipes and they are the only pipes I will buy going forward. They are very well made and they smoke wonderful!!!! I look forward to their web site additions every Thursday morning showing the new pipes for the week. My next addition will be one of their Jumbo pipes.
The owner and his son are two of the nicest people. It is nice to go in there an just hang out and talk to them. Their tobacco blends are also amazing.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I too, am a happy Boswell owner. My large thick-walled straight poker smokes like a dream. It will pass a cleaner with some added effort, but to me this is of no consequence. I also have a full bent with the conical chamber and it too is a great smoker. Don't sweat the small stuff, enjoy your Boswells.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I guess I'm on the opposite side, as i have had bad experiences with Boswell pipes. I've owned 3 of them which have all been passed along to others. They were some of the first pipes I owned and as I started getting more pipes from different artisans and factories I realized that all 3 had inferior smoking qualities than the others. The people at Boswell are great, some of the best personalized customer service in the business, but without getting in to specifics, unfortunately their pipes fall a little short.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I bought my first Boswell over 10 years ago for like $35 new in a Tinder Box near home. JM's pipes would trickle in usually once a month and usually 10-12 at a time. You had better been standing at the door waiting for the store to open the day they went on display or you weren't getting one. I managed to get a few added to my stable and really liked them for the most part, a couple of them were kind of wonky, non-traditional shapes with the trademark rusticated spots where the sand pits were. Things sure have changed for the better from what I've seen and I wish my B&M could get a few of their pipes but alas, they can hardly keep up with the web orders. The quality of craftsmanship has improved from what I can tell viewing the pictures. I visited the store some years back while on a trout fishing trip and they are some very nice folks and I picked up a pipe or 2 and got a fairly large pile of their house blend tobacco. The next time I see one of the fishing vest pipes pop up on the site, I'm grabbing one!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I live pretty close to Boswells, just across the line in Maryland. JM and Dan are amazing folks and I enjoy visiting the shop. But, I'm not a big fan of the pipes and I eventually sold mine off. Non of mine would pass a cleaner. When I asked JM about running a cleaner thru, he said "Bah, that's just internet garbage, just pull the stem and poke a cleaner thru the hole, hot or cold". I don't like removing hot stems.

I mostly moved on due to the shapes - I prefer the classic (some say boring!) shapes and vulcanite stems. I did have one little Boswell Bent, with a vulcanite stem, rare for JM. I fixed the cleaner issue with a needle file and sold it to a guy who buys a lot of high end pipes ($500+). He says it smokes fine and really likes it.

Dec 24, 2012
I have three Boswell pipes, but have only smoked one of them - a poker (which came with a regular stem and a churchwarden stem). It will pass a pipe cleaner with a twist. Truth be told, I was not a big fan of the pipe and, as a consequence, I haven't smoked the others. I just found that compared to some of my other pipes, it simply didn't smoke that well. To each his own. I am glad there are people who love Boswell pipes because I plan to sell mine when I get around to it (which I have been saying for about a year now).

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
ssjones, funny that you mentioned the pipe cleaner issue and the comment from JM to pull the stem, "hot or cold". One of the biggest complaints that I remember hearing about those earlier pipes was that the stems loosened. Now I know why! ;-)

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I'm the official Boswell groupie! To date I have 22 of them. Without question I love them, although I do tend to lean to the classic shapes they offer. And could never get one of those jumbos. But I have noticed that all the pipes draft holes are just below the bottom of bowl. This has never really been a problem for me, as I always cleans and wipe down my pipes every other smoke. I do have one that seemed alittle lower then some of the others,so I just took a beveled drill bit and dug it out a little bit. It has always been my favorite pipe.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Interior bowl shapes change the smoke, it's personal preference.
Beyond that, my personal preference is not for Boswell pipes.

stevesutera

Lurker
Jul 29, 2013
Peck when you get around to wanted to sell them please send me a note, I would be interested to see what they look like and what you are looking for.
I am looking forward to my July trip to add an additional pipe to my collection.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
I have a vest pipe on the way. I have never seen such amazing service. Every order arrives faster then any other Internet company I have ordered from. They are my go to supplier now.

Status
Not open for further replies.