PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 3, 2019
Hey all,
New to the forum and pretty new to pipe smoking. So much nomenclature I don't understand so hoping to get educated. Too many choices in pipes and tobaccos to know which way to turn. Looking forward to interacting and, hopefully, meeting some local SE VA pipe smokers.
Best,
Dude

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome!
Ask any question you like and don't worry about nomenclature. Generally, that's the term used for what's written on a pipe- Mfg, country, maker, etc.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
This may help, or at least be a good place to start, the first for terminology, the second for forum acronyms:
https://www.tobaccopipes.com/glossary-of-tobacco-pipe-and-pipe-tobacco-terms/
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/terminology
Welcome and enjoy!

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Duuuuude!!!!! Welcome aboard from Detroit!
It’s all trial & error. After a couple of weeks of practice, you’ll be comfortable with the routine.
Pick up some samples of various tobacco’s and in due time you’ll have an idea of which ones are your favorite styles.
Don’t let yourself get discouraged or overwhelmed. Good luck and Godspeed on your piping journey!
:puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard. It's like moving to town. You just start walking around and doing your daily tasks and pretty soon you begin to know a few things, and one piece of information leads to another. Explore online retailers. Don't buy a bunch of stuff. Learn brands of pipes, shapes of pipes, different genres of tobacco. Do this for fun, not duty. Just out of curiosity and for sport. Enjoy yourself. That's the point.

frankrem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Huntsville, Arkansas
Welcome from Arkansas. Just joined myself not very long ago. If you like YouTube check out muttonchp piper. He has some nice beginner videos that have helped me as well.

jeepinpiper83

Lurker
Jul 5, 2019
Welcome brotha! Don’t feel to bad I’m new to it all myself. Newbie to Newbie I found tobacco reviews and the above sites mentioned to be of great help. Biggest thing you can do is overthink the process and all the available options out there. Unfortunately, in some sense I still do but I don’t let it overwhelm me as much anymore. Just grab and go you’ll find your taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.