PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
From the 'bay. It required a Magic Eraser treatment to the stem, followed by an application of Denicotea Mouthpiece Polish and some Coconut Butter and Olive Oil.
I have no idea why this pipe didn't make the "cut" to be a Peterson. By today's standards, it would have been an Aran .... the tenon is a bit off-center and there's a small fill on the back of the bowl. I am thinking original finish or someone did a damn good restoration job on it. Oval shank. Nomenclature is crisp :
"Shamrock" on top of the shank. " "A Peterson Product" made in Ireland " on the bottom of the shank. "268" denoting the Zulu shape on the side. There's a nice patina on the nickel band adorned with the big shamrock, the little shamrock, the wolfhound and the castle. I polished it some but it looks good with the deep yellowing tone.
This is a fairly long pipe in my book, 157 mm or almost 6.25". Smokes like a dream, I just finished a bowl of Peterson Gold Blend. Of course, with my smoking cadence, aromatics and straight pipes don't mix, as I had to wipe up juice from the stem periodically :puffy:
And now the pictures
050.jpg

051.jpg

052.jpg

053.jpg

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
@LOTPR I've cut down on smoking flakes, but I have a tin of 1792 I need to break in one of these days. Smoking Uni Flake I could probably handle a whole flake, but Irish Flake and 1792 .... I'd smoke a whole week out of that pipe if I put a whole flake in there

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
rothnh I think this is the oldest Pete I have. Thankfully I haven't encountered any of the horror-story Petersons everyone is talking about. All mine are good smokers.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Neat find and a great looking Dublin/Zulu. You are right, that would be an Aran in todays Pete marketing. But, I suspect that old briar smokes a ton better then a new entry level Pete.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
That is a sweet pipe rcstan! That is one shape I'd like to add to my collection someday. Well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.