PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterpeters

Lurker
Aug 18, 2012
California
Just got this beauty off of eBay!
...From a collector who has only smoked it twice, he's had it since 1997. Had quite a bit of oxidization - spent two and some-odd hours sanding and polishing it using this method I found on the forums which really works!
Pipe Stem Restoration
The silver was in bad shape - used toothpaste and Dunhill's silver polishing cloth to clean it right up.
Denicare briar polish on the pipe, and alcohol/cotton balls for the bowl.
Four hours later, I had a beautiful, restored Peterson Silver Cap #264! Just thought I would share this with everyone, there seems to be no posts or web pages featuring this lovely (other than Peterson's own website).

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I like the cap on it...for some reason, I was thinking the cap that snaps on the bowl to keep the tobacco from flying out...

misterpeters

Lurker
Aug 18, 2012
California
@regmedic1

@frtimmyd

@oldredbeard
Appreciate the comments! I'm already loving the pipe, and I haven't even smoked it yet. Have to wait until tomorrow night due to the alcohol treatment :?

I know that what a pipe is worth is how much you love it and how well it smokes, but I'm such a sucker for aesthetics. I'm a fan of the Billiard (or in this case, Canadian) shape(s) and Silver accents; so, aesthetically, this is my dream pipe. Spending so much time restoring it has made me even more attracted to it. I just can't decide whether to pack some Reiner's "Long Golden Flake" or Samuel Gawith's "Squadron Leader" in it for my first smoke from this beaut!
@sjpipesmoke
I think my next PAD attack will have me end up spending all my green on a Peterson with a wind cap. I promised myself that I will lay off of the purchases for awhile. We will see how long that lasts! :rofl:
I snatched this one off of eBay for $200, free shipping. I think that I did well considering how much the "Silver Caps" go for.

misterpeters

Lurker
Aug 18, 2012
California
I would like to add that if anyone is looking to use Matchstickman's method of removing oxidization from your stem, and is wondering if the Oxiclean will damage silver / metal inlays and such - it does not (I was worried about that myself).
Also, I went to my local automotive shop to get the ultra-fine grit sand paper since Home Depot or Lowes does not carry anything above 500 grit. However, they only had 1500 grit and 3000 grit. The 3000 grit works just fine in place of the 8,000 or 12,000 grit mentioned in the article - it isn't too coarse for final sanding. I just used the Magic eraser to "polish" the stem in between and after each sanding which buffed it out nicely, leaving a completely smooth surface. Follow it up with some proper stem polish and add a coat of Obsidian pipe stem oil, and your good to go!
Hope that this isn't too off-topic, and I'm certainly not trying to re-write Metchstickman's amazing post. If you have 8,000 or 12,000 grit sandpaper available to you, you should use it! I just found myself in a pickle, and it worked just fine. Hope this helps anyone with the same questions I had :puffy:

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
Oh my that is one of the most beautiful pipes I have seen. Just my taste for something more elegant.
Did the tamper in the background come with it? 8O

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Awesome peterson! Petes are probably my second favorite. I have yet to get a P-Lip. Once the PAD funds replenish i will have to search for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.