PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitechapel

Lurker
Sep 28, 2014
First post ever!
I am looking for some quality pipe tobacco for my hand rolled cigarettes. I've recently taking a liking to being able to do my own thing. Right now I am smoking "The Real Deal" tobacco, it's good. I used to smoke Camel Crush Bolds. Any reasonable suggestions you can make to me on where to buy and what to try? Also, any recommendation on tubes?

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Most quality pipe tobacco is too moist, too rich, and the wrong type of cut for RYO purposes. Most tube injectors would clog instantly with the majority of quality pipe tobaccos. This is really the wrong forum for RYO related issues.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
There are thousands of pipe tobaccos on the market, and maybe 3 or 4 have the potential to be cigarette tobaccos. Your best bets would be Prince Albert, Carter Hall, and the various American Spirt products. Otherwise, I really wouldn't bother (and I have experimented with this a bit).

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Welcome Whitechapel. I think you will find other threads here on your question. You can use search for similar topics. I think some tobacco companies that called their product a ryo changed to pipe tobacco for tax purposes. But like Darwin said, almost all real pipe tobacco wouldn't work in ryo tubes and would most likely knock you to the ground with the nicotine hit from them. Literally. Tobacco for pipes isn't supposed to be inhaled and if you do inhale it be prepared. :lol:
tinner

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Some people make cigarettes out of Condor Green RR - personally I think its a waste of good Condor. I have been informed by friends that Prince Albert was originally used for both pipe and RYO although I don't know if this is a fact or an urban myth. I have a tin from Hawk that says you can use it for both purposes but that tin is very, very old so who knows. In the UK Three Castles, Old Holborn and Golden Virginia were originally sold as 'shag' pipe tobaccos and then found their way into the RYO market with Golden Virginia being the oldest (circa 1876) and most popular in the UK for RYO purposes.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Though it may not be strong enough, Robert McConnell Special London Fine Cut Mild is a good shag for RYO. Also, Daughters and Ryan has some blends that are a fine shag. Their blends come in varying strengths.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
whitechapel, welcome to Forums. Maybe we can wean you from the nails to pipes full time. I was given

a gift of 4 Aces Regular that works well as pipe tobacco but that I am told is sold as pipe tobacco only for

tax purposes. It seems cut a little large for cigarettes, but I never smoked cigarettes, just pipes, mostly, and

cigars now and then. It is a Virginia/burley mix, and I mix it with black Cavendish to give it a little more

lively taste (Altadis Dark Obsession, Cavendish/walnut). Seriously consider going with the pipes only, and

not inhaling, and not relying on the nicotine so much. Nag, nag, nag -- well, this is a pipe site. Welcome!

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
I was just smoking some Capstan for the first time today and was thinking that it might serve as a strong RYO. The milder Ready Rubbed Gold would probably be better than the Blue I was smoking. But even though it's a fairly fine cut as pipe tobaccos go, I'm not sure it's fine enough for rolling. Pretty expensive too.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If you're serious about wanting a quality tobacco for rolling I would recomend this. http://www.4noggins.com/tabac-manil-semois.aspx It's pricey though, as you can get a pound of RYO "pipe tobacco" for cheaper than 100 grams.
I'd also recommend you sign up at a forum like here http://www.rollyourownresource.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=24

It's just we're a pipe forum, and really RYO is a whole different thing. I can't imagine many pipe tobacco blends being very good for making your own cigs. Most "pipe tobacco" you'll be looking to buy isn't really pipe tobacco, it's simply cigarette tobacco re branded to bypass tax laws. I bought a pound of bulk VA for my gf to roll and she hated it, I ended up giving it away to an old piper, it wasn't really ribbon cut, was extremely harsh, and made for smoking in a pipe.

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
I've actually rolled some Nightcap after hearing about it from another member. Cut it up with scissors, dried it out to a crisp and enjoyed the hell out of it.

I've got a buddy who rolls Nightcap also. Those industrial RYO machines that they have at the RYO clubs, will grind the tobacco down to a fine ribbon. I tried a latakia cigarette and it reminded me of the old Charlestons. I think that if I was to ever switch back to the death nails that I would probably smoke a latakia cig. Funny though, because I don't like latakia in my pipes.
But as far as whether any of them can cross over, sure, just dry it out and grind it down. I don't believe that tobaccos were so specific back about 60 years ago. Guys just rolled tobaccos that they had on hand, which were also used in pipes.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
OHM is sold by pipes and cigars. I used to roll it up in the smallest possible papers. I smoke a pipe now and my bag of ohm is going to become a science project.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/73098/ohm-bold/

Status
Not open for further replies.