PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
I'm in the market for a bent bulldog, and I simply can't make my mind up between the Peterson Dublin filter: http://m.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=186607
Or the Savinelli tortuga: http://m.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=185235
Would appreciate your opinions on which way to pull the trigger. Please note that the presence of a filter us a prerequisit.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
They both look nice.
I have a Sav Tortuga in the billiard (127) shape and I love it. It is one of my best smoking pipes. I love the way that the Tortuga line looks with the tortoise shell pattern on the stem. I never use the ash cap, that is kept in the box.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I have 3 Petes including a straight bulldog. Also a few Sav autographs

Personally I would go with the Sav.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Both are lovely. I have a Pete Irish Harp bent bulldog and it's a nice pipe but I love my Savinelli's. Recnetly I've been looking at Blakemar pipes from England. With the current conversion rate they're about the same money as the Pete and they are handmade.
www.blakemar.co.uk/product/lb-rhodesian-no-432/

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
flip a coin! (or let the ash cap sway you into or away from the Savinelli)

nutcracker

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2015
The pipes are quite different, to me.
The Pete says structured and classic.
The Sav says stylish and sleek.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have an Around the World Pete bent 'dog and a Sav 673 Opera. For shear eye appeal, the Pete with its wide nickel band and its bright orange stain is quite a looker. The Sav might edge it out just a bit for elegant smoking; it just feels like a tighter piece of craftsmanship in the airway and in terms of balance, but it is very close indeed. So follow your heart. I'd give it a few days to mull (if you feel lucky that both pipes will stay available).

Dec 24, 2012
Do you have a stem material preference? The Pete is vulcanite while the sav is acrylic. Personally, in the case of these two pipes, I would lean toward the Sav because I do think it is more likely to be a better smoking pipe; the acrylic would be a deal breaker for some though.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I like the look of the Sav better, but it's in the smoking that counts the most.... so that could be two votes for Sav! :)
Enjoy whichever!

larrylegend

Lurker
Jan 3, 2014
I have the Savenelli but in a rusticated finish and it is a good smoker . Can't speak for the Petersonas I don't own one.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
My Petes are great smokers but I have to agree that my Savs are better smokers than my Petes. I think they both look great. If you are into traditional then get the Pete. I like the Sav because it looks way cool.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Ask them to get the pipes and inspect them for you. Looking at photos online and rolling the dice isn't the best way to go, imo. The way I look at these pipes comes down to bowl stain, better V slot, but higher chance of off drilling (P) vs uncoated bowl, shallow v-slot (more like a straw), and higher chance of proper drilling (S).
If I bought the pete I would expect to be tasked with removing the bowl coat, and removing the stain that is likely to be in the shank prior to smoking. For the sav, I would expect to use jewelers files to widen the slot. I really dislike the way the open draw is bottlenecked at the button. These are just my own personal quirks, by the way.
I'm agnostic to stem material. Good and bad stems are made out of both.
I like the look of the 80s more. Both probably will feel great in hand and are very likely to be great overall, but stellar flake pipe designs if you don't bother with an airpocket pack method.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
Peterson's has a very classic shape, it means you can find similar whenever you want.

I prefer the Savinelli because a little bit more oriiginal, then I like the amber color stem with the small ring and the cap is a bonus you don't find everywhere.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
As others have mentioned in other posts the Petes seem to have drilling and air way issues. All 3 of mine did. I just drilled them out with a 5/32" and now they smoke fine. It's no big deal. Also, all my Petes and my 5 Brighams all had bowl coatings. To remove the bowl coating took about 5 minutes with a couple of Kleenex tissues and some rubbing alcohol. Again, no big deal. Get a little bit of rubbing alcohol on the tissue, put it in the bowl and run your finger in a circle around the inside of the bowl. Repeat until tissue is no longer black. Same with the shank. Q-tips and pipe cleaners. Will smoke just fine. It's not some kind of mystical, transcendental application. Chunk of wood, some rubbing alcohol. It cleans out just fine. Same with drilling out the air way. Chunk of wood. Wood drill. No big deal. Out of my 38 pipes I've drilled out about 18 of them. No issues. No damage. Now they all smoke fine.

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
Thanks guys, you kind of reaffirmed what I was slowly starting to feel. Will be ordering the Sav shortly.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, my Sav 673 was a Christmas gift from my wife, and she picked it out. It's a beauty and keeps getting better.

Status
Not open for further replies.