need suggestions for my yearly bulk order!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

costa226

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
Hello friends! It looks like ive ran out of all of my tobacco so im ready for another big order. I like to order almost all new stuff because I love trying out new things and and expanding my palette.
I would like some suggestions for things I might like, and for stuff thats out of the ordinary, maybe something new and special, or old, doesnt matter.
Heres what ive tried so far, with my ratings for each tobacco:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/26380
As for what I like and dont, I discovered that I really did not like dunhill elizabethan mixture, which is interesting because it has soo many who liked it, maybe its bc of the perique? Also, I hated Wessex burley, which is known as an excellent smoke. Im not sure why but these diddnt work for me. Anyway, I am looking for new tobaccos that might be what I might not like, or some that are to my likings. If there is something I dont like, I want to know why, and try another tobacco similar to see if I can slowly get into it. I would like to order straight latakia, pirique, virgina, burley, oriental, etc, so i can really know what they are. I have an idea but its very vague. Where would I get small quantities of the straight stuff?
Mississippi river is still my go to #1, but ive discovered alot of other stuff I love. Dunhill flake and early morning pipe are great in a classic way. Plum pudding was also a nice deep smoke.
I want to try some new stuff from across the board:

- i realize that i dont like cheap aromatics at all, or ones sopping wet. I want to discover high quality aromatics. what are some of the best/ high quality aromatic blends. not just vanilla/cherry, but which specific ones.

-what are some must try best of the best classics. Ive tried a bunch of them, but there are tons I havent got to. I need to find them and try them.

-out of all the latakia blens ive tried I think Blue mountain was my favorite, I could use some high quality latakia blend recommendations for an experienced user, im not, but i want to know what is considered a really well made lat blend, maybe a strong one and a weak one. I tried a good amount of Lat blends, however I find that for me im not in love with alot of them, but when I find a good one its great..

-anything new, different,
Thanks all!

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Orlik Golden Slice - Fresh, citrus and grassy. The Rice Crispys of Virginias.

SG Full Virginia Flake - More mature, dark fruit, has more depth.

Sixpence - Nice Virginia with a hint of Perique

Dunhill Nightcap - A full bodied wonder of modern blending and one of my favorite blends

Star of the East - Orientals and Turkish, a well rounded and satisfying smoke
Your tastes will invariably be different than anyone elses (YMMV) and it is hard to recommend for others. You seem to be off to a good start. Be sure to revisit the blends you didn't like as tastes change over time. Good Luck! :)

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
i realize that i dont like cheap aromatics at all, or ones sopping wet. I want to discover high quality aromatics. what are some of the best/ high quality aromatic blends. not just vanilla/cherry, but which specific ones.
Erinmore Flake - Aromatic Va/Bur
-what are some must try best of the best classics. Ive tried a bunch of them, but there are tons I havent got to. I need to find them and try them.
Dunhill Royal Yacht
out of all the latakia blens ive tried I think Blue mountain was my favorite, I could use some high quality latakia blend recommendations for an experienced user, im not, but i want to know what is considered a really well made lat blend, maybe a strong one and a weak one. I tried a good amount of Lat blends, however I find that for me im not in love with alot of them, but when I find a good one its great..
Brebbia Balkan, C&D Byzantium
-anything new, different,
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Series
I'm very much afraid that I can't recommend any virgina. Wish you better luck.
Thanks to you I started the morning with a nice smile :)

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Best va/per out there is Directers Cut by Hans. Order some. It's a bit of work, but so worth it. Also order Exotique by Smoker's Haven. These are the only two blends I bother to promote as I believe the finest going :) actually, I'll throw out Reniers Long Flake... and get SG Full Virginia Flake and St James while it's available as of late.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've had fun getting bulks of C&D blends. They have some good burley mixers..dark burley, cube cut, and a blended burley they call Cavendish cut burley, as well as some of their Lat and Perique.

I've found a nice tasty straight VA from D&R in PenHooker...

C&D has VA Flake and Yorktown that are primarily very nice VA...

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I would like to order straight latakia, pirique, virgina, burley, oriental, etc, so i can really know what they are. I have an idea but its very vague. Where would I get small quantities of the straight stuff?
https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/cornell-diehl/bulk/

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/shop/blending-tobaccos/1800508/

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My top three recommendations might leave you cold. I'd suggest you study the online retail tobacco web pages and see what blends have the constituent tobaccos you like in both tinned and bulk, then find the bulk blends that most closely correspond, and read some reviews on those. Just for starters. Also, rather than loading up on 8 oz or pound quantities, put in an order for six or eight one or two oz samples and see what you like, and save what you don't, to see if it is appealing months later. If you haven't tried it, Tabac-Manil Semois might interest you, the Belgium burley variant; it's sold as tinned but comes in a paper package, but look at the write-ups and reviews. I like McClelland for Virginias and C&D for burley blends, as places to start looking. I think Russ' O.'s/PC Fire Storm is a tasty spin on Va/Per with dark fired. Seattle Pipe Club blends have had high praise, if you like that style (I'm aging mine so can't comment yet). I like some aromatics in rotation with my non-aros. PC's Midtown series of tub tobaccos includes a non-aro, Chestnut, that I like.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Not sure if I understand the reasoning of first saying you'd like to try all new things then giving a list of the things you do like in the hopes of getting some more things similar.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
Aromatic: Lane RLP-6, W. O. Larsen Limited Edition 2016, Sutliff State Fair.
The annual Peterson Special Reserve tobaccos are usually quite good, but 2016 is probably the only one generally available and I haven't tried it.
Classics: Half & Half, Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake, Escudo
Latakia: Lane Crown Achievement, Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader, C&D Stratfordshire

costa226

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
alot of great suggestions here, i gota go through them, some ive already tried, but thats good. I like getting stuff that is similar to what i like and some that is wildly different. i gave my preferences just as an idea, regardless thou im looking for tobacco i havent tried yet, and i see alot of good stuff here. I like the idea of getting 2 oz samples, ill do that and get some of the popular full tins for myself.
thx all, im gonna make that order within the next week.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Any of the McClellands bulks broken flakes are great. For me it's mainly fragrant mature cake and their navy flake.
Also one my favorites that's a Va but I also consider an aro as it's got a delicious topping is Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake.

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
Definitely pick up some blends from Carole Burns of Pipework & Wilke before she retires this year. She has some of the finest bulk blends available anywhere whether it be English, Aromatic or oriental

Status
Not open for further replies.