PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
This stem is a twin bore from a Sav 811ks, and I've used a pistol grip hairdryer on it first. I left the stem laying on the bench with the dryer blowing on it from 3" away. No improvement. So I went to the clothes iron and a wet cloth. It turned the stem brown again, but no change on the tooth dents. WTF!

img_0275-600x400.jpg

img_0274-600x400.jpg

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Certain vulcanite doesn't respond to heat. Seems like the pipes I like, heat never works. Ya gotta fill.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Thanks Torque, Order made. I remember someone saying CA fills don't last, maybe this will, kf4bsb seems pretty knowledgeable on restoration.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Cool :) Do post a pic of your results. I've been meaning to order some myself but don't currently have a project that needs it so have held off. I'm interested to see what it looks like when polished.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I've noticed that heat and water equates to instant oxidation. No amount of heat will raise a tooth mark that was caused by wear. You can't raise what is not there. If the stem material was compressed,then it may raise somewhat with heating.

I've never used the rubberized CA but have had good luck with CA mixed with activated charcoal powder.

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
Good morning. If you decide to use the IC-2000 Rubber-Toughened CA Adhesive, please be aware that by its self, it isn't going to be quite hard enough. When using it I mix it about 50/50 with regular slow setting CA glue and then use it to fill the dent. Also, Stewart Macdonald (stewmac.com) sells a tinted CA glue that comes in black. I have started using it and so far I am happy with the results.
I agree with ejames about not being able to raise what is not there, and I also have used his method of blending CA with activated carbon, which also works very well.

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
I do the same with mixing the 50/50 CA glues, I think some brands have too much of that rubberized stuff in there for our purpose. I often wondered if the stewmac brand would be stiffer, are you using it straight/undiluted?

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I like the Stew-Mac glues and also the "Stik-fast" brand. Loctite is another good brand.

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
Let me share the best method I have found for storing opened CA glues, put it in the refrigerator. I have been using CA glues to build RC Airplanes for a very long time, I even worked in a hobby store while in college that did primarily just RC airplanes, and I always store my opened bottles in the fridge. It will not completely stop it from drying out, but it does extend the life of the glue significantly.

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
AntBauerS, I have used the Stew-Mac undiluted so far with very good results. It behaves as you would expect any other medium viscosity CA glue to behave. I wouldn't say it is any more or less stiff.
I also suggest that if you order glue from Stew-Mac, that you also order a sheet of Teflon Fret Slot Dam material from them. Just use the website search function to get it to pull up. CA glues don't stick to Teflon very well which makes it the perfect substrate to put behind a hole that you are trying to fill with CA. I just cut a strip to size and insert it into the stem, positioning it under the hole. Then, I take a small piece of card stock or a thin pipe cleaner and wedge it under the Teflon to hold it securely in place. When I am finished with the hole repair, the Teflon slides right out. I have never had an issue getting it out, and I feel it provides a better backing to the hole than a pipe cleaner with Vaseline on it.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I use the Stew-Mac colors as well. Using a set accelerator helps too. Seems to harden faster and better. On acrylic and other plastic type stems the fill all but disappears. You can see the fills in vulcanite. But if you blend it well one has to turn the stem in the light to really see them.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I also suggest that if you order glue from Stew-Mac, that you also order a sheet of Teflon Fret Slot Dam material from them. Just use the website search function to get it to pull up. CA glues don't stick to Teflon very well which makes it the perfect substrate to put behind a hole that you are trying to fill with CA. I just cut a strip to size and insert it into the stem, positioning it under the hole. Then, I take a small piece of card stock or a thin pipe cleaner and wedge it under the Teflon to hold it securely in place. When I am finished with the hole repair, the Teflon slides right out. I have never had an issue getting it out, and I feel it provides a better backing to the hole than a pipe cleaner with Vaseline on it.
I will have to check that out ! I have been cutting cardboard "dams" to fit into the slot and covering them with scotch tape which the glue will not stick to. Taping them up is a PITA to me.

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
These Fret Dams are the cat's meow. If you want to give one a try send me your mailing address via PM and I will be glad to cut you some off to try.

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
Kf4bsb - those are great tips. I will have to start putting mine in the fridge. I looked at those fret dams before but I wasn't sure if it they were worth it. I have been doing pretty much the same as ejames, but also putting a glaze of Vaseline. But now I will have to include them in my order.
Ejames - I also like the loctite brand. They come in different viscosities and they also have black. But they are the best brand of ca glue that I've used so far.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
These Fret Dams are the cat's meow. If you want to give one a try send me your mailing address via PM and I will be glad to cut you some off to try.
Thanks for the offer but I need to order some other stuff from them and will order a sheet or two of the dam material when I do. They have a couple of different files I want to try out.

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
ejames, they have some great files. I have a few of their files and love them. They make some high quality files that have dead faces and live edges that I use all of the time. Of course they have them the other way as well. They have a lot of good tools for people working on pipes. I have a a little bit of an advantage because I have a friend who is a luthier (beaconguitars.com) and I like to go through his shop from time to time and see what I can find that I could use on a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.