Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I have the opportunity to purchase a Ferndown Millennium pipe unsmoked for 420 shipped. I love Ferndown pipes and there were only 40 of these made, but it has a saddle stem. I really prefer tapered stems on bent bulldogs. I am in talks with James Barber about getting a few Ferndowns bespoke, but not sure if Tudor or rot will be an option. Les Wood will not make a new stem for a pipe that he already made, so having one made by him is not an option. Is this overpriced as there are only 40 made?
I guess my question is what would you do? Buy it and smoke it, Buy it and not smoke it, Buy it and have an aftermarket stem made for it or dont buy it and wait till I find a tudor root or root with a tapered stem.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I would but I like both saddle and taper, so no real issue for me. I love Tudor root, and that looks like a very well executed bulldog. And its only money:)

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
I know all about Les Wood and have been smoking his pipes since 2005. But again, I really do prefer a tapered stem.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'd only buy it if I really liked the pipe -- and it sounds like you're on the fence about it. Especially since you're soliciting advice from this lot. 8O
If you're thinking in terms of resale value or just in terms of "is this a good deal?", I don't think the limited edition "Millenium" aspect is going to matter much. I think new Tudor Root pipes retail for about the same as this one.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
The last time I went through this was with a Dunhill Chestnut bent bulldog. I bought it and I'm very happy but every time I see it out of the corner of my eye I think how much better it would look with a tapered stem and I'm reminded that I still need to get one. If it's rare for you to spend that much I'd probably pass.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
It seems to me you love the idea of owning this pipe because it's an unsmoked Millennium pipe and only 40 where made, you don't appear to actually love this pipe. Personally I would just wait till you find the exact pipe you want

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since this is handmade and a very special pipe, I'd leave it as it is, a complete work of art. Wait until you

find one that suits you in all details.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Thanks for all the advice. I have decided to pass on it. I just cant get over the stem. It is an amazing pipe, but will try to get Les Wood to bespoke one.

Status
Not open for further replies.