PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
OK... I'm a HUGE english blend smoker, I absolutely love me some Latakia.
I tried an aromatic about 18 years ago, it was a house blend here in Claremont at the old Claremont Smoke House... anyways, I didnt like it it was a cherry something or other and it was so heavy and oily and it was like smoking a pharmacy... never tried an aromatic again.
fast forward 100 years till now.... Ive been kind of craving something a bit different, and since I want to dust off my giant Meer, I figure a good aromatic would help it patina as well... so my question for you experts is this:
Can you recommend a "light" aromatic? something thats not too flavored, maybe thats a cross between both?... if this is even possible... I hope Im making sense.
Thanks in advance,

Erick.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
Shortcut to Mushrooms! It's a delicious mild Lakatia aromatic.
http://justforhim.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_298_62&products_id=612

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
1Q is a favorite here and it is mild and inexpensive - a good choice IMHO.
But 2 of my favorites are from Pipeworks & Wilke: Rumcake and Wilke No.191
http://www.vtpipes.com/
Damn they're good.
From their site: Rumcake: "This Jamaican rum laced blend is based on a mixture originally made for actor Basil Rathbone. This is the finest rum mixture offered anywhere"
Wilke 191: "The natural flavors of vanilla beans and Vermont honey are combined with Virginias, matured Kentucky Burley and a combination of 3 toasted Black Cavendishes to create this most popular mild slow burning blend."
All of their blends are a bit pricey, but they're worth it.

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
Any of the peterson aro's. Since you're an english blend guy i would also recommend peterson university flake. Any of the cornell & diehl aro's as well.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Mac Baren vanilla flake? It is a lightly topped Virginia. One that I have wanted to try is Rattray's Bag pipers dream.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Shortcut to Mushrooms! It's a delicious mild Lakatia aromatic.
This one is really intriguing me... I think Im going to definitely pick this one up.
Hey you guys... the ones flavored with Rum or Honey... is it just me, that im picturing them to be very sticky and gooey? because those are sound rather nice as well.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
C&D Cross Eyed Cricket.
If you like latakia and want some flavor component, it's the best of both worlds for me. I know it's a love it or leave kind of blend but in the category of crossovers, it's a hell of a good one.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Mac Baren's Plumcake is a latkia with a rum flavoring. I didn't like it much because I'm not yet a fan of latakia, but those who enjoy that leaf tend to enjoy that blend. I have to second 1Q for an aromatic. Probably the best on the market. Just a great relaxing aromatic that doesn't bite and gives good flavor.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If you are thinking crossover English, you might want to check out some of the Altadis bulks. I've got some Burma Road right now.
Mac Baren's Plumcake is a latkia with a rum flavoring
I'd go for MacBaren's The Solent Mixture before I'd do Plumcake, as a crossover - it has more latakia. Mind you, this is Syrian Latakia, not Cyprian. I have smoked a ton of Solent.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
I'm on my third bowl of Reiner Light Aromatic and I have to say its one of the best Aromatics I have ever had. It i nothing like a 1Q or cased tobacco. European Aro's are very different than American ones. It's not cheap but it is the first Aromatic I have been able to smoke all the way to the end. No bite, no goop, and no wasted tobacco. All in all makes an expensive tobacco seem like a good deal. Give it a try. Oh for the record there is no Latakia in this blend. Although I do love Latakia.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
The rumcake is slightly damp like any aro, but definitely not goopy. I would say it is my favorite aro to date.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
You won't regret getting a couple of ounces of Shortcut to Mushrooms. Read about it on Tobacco Reviews.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=S&TID=2093

morton

May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Try Peterson's Irish Whiskey for a very nice aro that is not too overpowering but has some nice aro notes. I don't find it goopy and find it to be a really nice tobacco that just happens to have a really nice sweet whiskey aroma and taste to it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My experience with aromatics is very limited and I am mainly a va flake and vaper flake smoker. The ones I do smoke are all from Boswell and they are definitely not goopy and wet. They burn like any quality blend and they do taste like they smell. For a change of pace, I do enjoy them. I have tried some English aromatics from G&H and SG but the lakeland essence is something that I really have to be in the mood for. I have yet to try the Peterson offerings, but they do sound pretty tasty. The Boswell's I keep in stock are Berry Cobbler, Pennsylvania Dutch Treat, Christmas Cookie, Raspberry Cream.

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Christmas Cookie, Raspberry Cream - YUM!
Peterson's DO NOT taste like they smell and can be rough on the tongue bite. But they do smell awesome in public!
I prefer many of the Milan tobacco blends for sweetness and taste and Anniversary Kake for a sweet latika treat on rare occasions.
Check out any bulk blends as they are cheap anyway. Order a bunch of 1oz. bags and see what you like then come back and discuss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.