PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff59

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2011
I never wanted to use a tobacconist because in the past because I would start to liking a particular brand and the local guy would move, go out of busines or whatever, or be so inconsistant that I would never get exactly the same mix twice. On the other hand the OTC drug store brands were good, not great but decent but always knew what I was getting. Heck my Dad smoked SWR for over 20 yrs. I was concerned about the additives though. Finally after laying off the pipe for a while which is another story I bought some backy online again and got to liking it alot. Sure enough this last batch I feel the quality is slipping and I know Its not the same as the first. Second while I have your ear, because of this, i tried a new tobacco I had in my drawer never opened. It burned very hot and I smoked it in and old pipe. Now I have a sore spot on my lip, very annoying and the tongue bit is killing me. I dont want to but I guess I have to give my mouth a rest for a few days. Your thoughts on it all. Anyone reccommend good otc tobacco with no additives. Thinking about Dunhill or C&D.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Welcome to the forum....at first notice that a blend is smoking really hot...dump it, because it is a sure bet you'll get tongue bite from it. I'd just see what your local guy recommends as there are just too many blends out there, and we also don't know what you have available locally.

jeff59

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2011
Thanks so much for your reply. Way ahead there. I cannot stand a hot smoke. That stuff was history. For now, although I don't want to live on it forever, but its what I cut my teeth on it so to speak, Im smoking Carter Hall. Yea it may be an old drug store brand but it is consistant and dependable.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Don't know your prefs but I'd say For English: 3 Oaks, Black House or EMP. For Aros, I'd say 1-Q, Nat Sherman Riverside Whiskey or Good old CBW. Gawith's Kendal Creme is nice too. If your into cherry, you can't beat CAO CH,CH,CH,CH,CHERRY BOMB! The geezers on here swear by good old PA and I'm to green to contradict them so go for it!
Dunhill's EMP and Nightcap are both regular smokes for many on here. The beauty yof the internet and of magnificent e-tailers like pipesandcigars.com and smokingpipes.com make it all possible. It's like a trip thought Willie Wonka's factory these days! Someone else said it here first. These ARE the good old days!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Jeff59, first of all let me welcome you to the forums here, where your opinions always count! :clap:
It's kinda hard to make a recommendation without knowing more about your preferences, but a good place to

start exploring is at Luxury Tobacco Reviews.com. In the left hand column of the home page you will see the various

categories, or genres, of tobacco blends which you can browse.

This should help your exploration of a big chunk of the pipe tobacco market.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
there aren't many choices for buying tobacco locally around here, other than huge bags of generic type stuff. walmart brand or smoker's pride. anyway, as a result i'll be purchasing the majority of my tobacco online (cheaper too). and i've been happy with the results. Bought a half dozen blends from boswell (www.boswellpipes.com) and they're all mild and tasty.
it's funny how guys who have a humidor in store and sell really expensive cigars will have very little pipe tobacco selection. and not surprising drug stores hardly carry any these days.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm guessing that very few B&M's have a professional tobacconist and blender anymore.

I think nearly all of the bulk blends in jars and bins are wholesale tobaccos from distributors

like Altadis, Villiger-Stokkebye, Scandinavian Tobacco Group (Lane Ltd.), Orlik etc., and are re-christened with house names.

But heck, even a tin of Dunhill isn't really made by Dunhill anymore (not to imply that it's not as good).

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
C&D makes very good blends. I'm smoking some Back Porch right now.
Tobacco that is too moist is going to burn hot - the moisture will turn to steam.
I would second the motion to check out the review sites. They can help a lot. Find a reviewer whose tastes seem to match yours - one who has positively reviewed blends you have smoked and enjoyed. If you like Carter Hall, for example, don't follow the opinions of someone who dislikes CH. And there is nothing wrong with good drug store blends, as long as you are happy with them.

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Baron has made some good suggestions as far as blends, and I would add to that most of what McClelland sells, especially (for English Blends): the Frog Morton series, and for Aros, the great blends made over at Just For Him (especially, Shortcut To Mushrooms--which is not as suspect as the name makes it sound.)
You might want to look (or ask) around the forums about your smoking technique and look into the pipes your smoking, literally. If your pipe has a tiny draft hole (which many cheaper brand estate pipes do), you'll have a tendency to suck harder to produce smoke, which will heat up your tobacco in a flash. A good, quality, pipe (new or vintage) will have a properly drilled, good-sized draught hole, which will naturally make you use less force when you are drawing in the smoke.
Take, for instance, a vintage Stanwell (which can be had on the bay for often reasonable prices); the draught holes on old Stanwells are open enough that you don't have to work so hard to have a pleasurable smoke. Maybe that's because the Danes (inveterate pipe smokers that they are) smoke a lot of aros. They know the harder they have to puff, the more those aros, with all that casing, will heat up. I've tried a fairly heavily cased aro in an old, cheap, machine made estate pipe and in a vintage Stanwell and the difference is like night and day.
Lastly, you might want to experiment with your fill, and, in your case, try filling less in your bowl (maybe using the gravity or "Frank method" instead of the traditional 1,2,3 approach). I use the Frank method almost exclusively and as soon as I started using it, I saw a big difference.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
If you like an aromatic, try 1-Q. My local tobacconist told me that lots of stores sell it(or something very similar), although they may give it their own store name. Anyway, it's almost always available.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
You can also try Bald Headed Teacher, This a burley virginia latakia blend and is available from 4noggins.com, I highly recommend this blend, it smokes cool and tastes good, and it is one of my favorites.

jeff59

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2011
I appreciate all your input. Gives me a lot to go on. I definately will be doing some research. The good part is that i get to smoke my pipe while doing it. Thanks again.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
If you like an aromatic, try 1-Q. My local tobacconist told me that lots of stores sell it(or something very similar), although they may give it their own store name. Anyway, it's almost always available.
Uh oh here it comes:
1Q

Accountant

Wolverine

Lawrence :)

IQ-140

Yorkshire

Wilshire

Argonant

Ships Wheel

T.P.

Indian Summer