PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
This is the second pipe I received with the GBD Special below on the forum. It is a rather large pipe. The only marking on the pipe is Taylor Made in script over the end of the stem. There are no other markings. From my wanderings on the internet this appears to be either an early pipe from Bill Ashton-Taylor or a second line of his pipes. It has a very nice straight grain pattern without any fills or defects. If this is a second, no wonder his first line pipes are pricey !!

Any comments appreciated. Thanks, Hoppes

img_0374.jpg

img_0375.jpg

img_0376.jpg

img_0377.jpg

img_0382.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Brand of Bill Ashton-Taylor (1945 - 2009†) when he left Dunhill and before he created the "Ashton" brand.
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-t2.html#taylormade

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Andy Camire and GL Pease commented on a thread on a "Taylor Made" pipe in a post on the Brothers of Briar thread a few years ago. Basically, they are lesser quality Ashtons, using pre-molded stems. They pop up on Ebay from time to time.

http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t6867-looking-for-information-on-taylor-made-pipes
Hello Gents,

Yes as Wet Dottle stated, they were a second line of less expensive Ashton pipes. Bill had many of these with him at the PCI Pipe Show in Crystal City Washington DC area back in the early 1990's. I did buy several of these and they are superb smokers as all of Ashton Pipes are in my opinion. I'm not an expert by any means but Ashton Pipes are my favorite British pipe bar none. At the show Bill told me that these pipes did not have handmade stems, and some had minor flaws but did not affect the smoking quality at all and were a bargain. He also told me that if any of these pipes had Brindle stems, they WERE handmade stems unlike the black vulcanite stems. As far as I know they were oil cured just like the other pipes but I don't recall for certain. And yes, RD Field was not happy about Bill Taylor selling a lesser line of pipes directly to the consumer!! LOL

I'm sure there's probably more info out there but this info I got first hand from Bill Himself. God Bless Him and may He Rest in Peace with a Pipe and a Pint.

Doc

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I'll go with GLP over pipephil...
Hand cut or not, that's a nice looking stem on the pipe in the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.