PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
I picked this Comoy's Virgin Briar pipe up at an antique store today and it was so covered in years of dirt and tobacco that I did not notice it had these numbers till I was cleaning it. Any clues as to what they mean???

comoy1_zpsf79678f9.jpg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I have no real idea on the numbers, but sometimes I've seen old pipes with letters and numbers that indicate a college/school, and year. But now about that grain! WOW, that is something really nice. Almost looks like there's smoke in the grain itself! Very nice pipe!

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
Thanks agnosticpipe…it cleaned up real nice. The cake was so thick I could not get the tip of my pinky finger in the pipe. Once reamed it was like new…real quality piece of briar.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The numbers commemorate something that happened in 1942, Penn Class of 1942? Nice old pipe, could you post a pic of the other side of the shank? I'm curious to see the Made in England stamp.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The arched "Comoys" suggest it was made before or near WWII era, so the 42 also makes sense.

On the last PipesMagazine radio show, the director for Hulco Pipes talks about his father getting fraternity or college pipes made each year. That looks more like it would be a school designation than a fraternity. And, I very cool piece! Is there a shape number on it (typically a 3 digit number)

Status
Not open for further replies.