PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
So, my lady and I were sitting in the yard swing, just enjoying the evening. I was smoking some Virginia Slices and the smoke was wafting around her. I asked if she was bothered by it. No, she said. Then I asked if she wanted to try a pipe. She said, 'not that', but indicated that in the past she had tried a Swisher Sweet and liked that. She is NOT a smoker at all.
So, I am thinking I should fire up a pipe with some sweet aromatic, getting it going so she doesn't have to mess with the pipe-starting routine.
Ideas for the 'test' and what to use? It would tickle me greatly if she actually got a puff or two and liked it. Would make it closer to possibility for me to smoke in my office this winter.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
My wife and mother in law, both cig smokers, but last weekend I made them try McClelland 3 cherry blend. Both liked it.

Casing is quite mild.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Molto Dolce. Sp? It tastes like candy and smells likes an Italian bakery. Hate the stuff myself, but if she likes Swishers...

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
Ken, nothing compares to a Swisher Sweet Blunt. Between those and Connecticut Club I smoked about twenty a day in between pipes. Just my not so humble opinion

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Try filling a delicate, Churchwarden with some light aros, (that were mentioned above), or rub out a Swisher Sweet Blunt and fill the pipe with that tobacco. Sipping on a Churchwarden, and getting a cool, sweet, and mild smoke, might just get you a new pipe companion. Then you can both, smoke briars in your office when Winter revisits. Maybe.
Frank

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
My wife accompanies me outside sometimes when i smoke. She doesn't smoke herself though so it does nothing towards smoking in my study..

I tried to get the wife and even my oldest daughter to smoke a pipe. My wife won't even try it, but at least she is no longer a tobacco nazi. My daughter went straight to those electronic vapes, because... well... kids... She liked the pipe, but she fell in with those cigars you guys are talking about. Some are about as aromatic as the pipe tobacco, and the kids are buying them up like crazy around here. I tried to find her a tin of her favorite peach cigarillos for her birthday, but... I used to make jokes about flavored cigars and pipe tobaccos appealing to kids, but I guess I am standing corrected.
It is cool that she will bring me a cigar every now and then. She knows just how to request a cigar for me... "I need the strongest, darkest cigar you have." Ha ha!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Does your wife like coconut or vanilla? If so I would say PS Luxury Twist Flake.
If she's more of a chocolate fan then maybe McCelland Fragrant Matured Cake?
Molto Dolce smells great but doesn't really have a taste and is a royal pain in the arse. You can't get that garbage dried for anything. Left it out for a week and it was still sopping wet.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Molto Dolce smells great but doesn't really have a taste and is a royal pain in the arse. You can't get that garbage dried for anything. Left it out for a week and it was still sopping wet.
And how a tobacco's tin note and room note are has little to do with how it tastes to the smoker. I'd skip aromatics myself. My babe didn't gag on Margate last week, nor did my niece and her husband.

I am no aromatic poofer, but I do like Molto Dolce, occasionally... rarely... OK, OK... I only smoke it when I am trying to arouse my wife. It beats begging, ha ha. Anyways, it does taste like it smells, to me. And, it smokes well even sopping wet out of the tin, and you guys know what a fundamentalist I am about drying.

I like to slice up some Coconut Twist and add it to the mix for some nicotine. BUT YMMV

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
:D
Well, this is fun... She does like coconut and vanilla, and chocolate, LOL. I'll get a couple of different tobaccos and give her one to try. It won't be that she will be a smoker, she just won't. But it will be fun to see her try the pipe at least once.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
EWA pipes at Iwan Ries are good looking small pipes that might look and feel less awkward for a new woman pipe smoker. I'm not sure heavily flavored aromatics are really the best introduction, although of course that's what some smokers, male and female, like. Some of the milder aromatics like Carter Hall or Prince Albert, or a mild non-aro might do as well. I think they give a better idea about what is pleasant about a pipe. But if the heavily flavored aro goes over well, no arguing with that.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
my wife got curious, she is not a smoker, but the smoke smelled sweet, i was smoking some lane 1q, she smoked some of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.