PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wifey

Lurker
Jan 24, 2018
I hope these images work, I'm having a hell of a time using photo bucket on my phone!

My hisband found this stummel and a ton of antique bottles in our woods. The bottles all date to the 1920's so I think it's safe to assume this pipe is from the same era. The problem is there is no marking on it whatsoever to identify the maker. Can anyone identify it?
I had it cleaned up and a new stem put in. It's a lovely piece but I just wish I knew the history behind it!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Photobucket is dead to most of us.
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
The site's album is also a good choice.

wifey

Lurker
Jan 24, 2018
I can't figure out how to attach the image from my phone but i did upload the pics to this website's album: http://pipesmagazine.com/members/wifey/album/picture

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Can't see much in those pix. Without a stamping or logo I'd say it's nearly impossible to identify.

img_3302-600x450.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No markings (stamps) make it difficult. Just from the shape, it looks like some pipes made by French makers, but that's a random guess. Nothing about it makes me think it is valuable, moreso since it has been outdoors for years, but it could still smoke well with its new stem ... can't tell from the photo.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I know photographing the markings can be difficult. Pipes are relatively tiny, multi-planed objects that can present great lighting and focus challenges even to the experienced.
It would be nearly as helpful if you could just transcribe and type any text you see on the pipe, along with where it appeared.

wifey

Lurker
Jan 24, 2018
I'm not too worried about the value; hoping my hubby will be able to use it. I'll report back later after I give it to him (Valentines surprise; he doesn't know I had it refurbished).
While on the subject of this pipe...the stem doesn't align perfectly with the shank (hope my terminology is ok here). To person who replaced the stem said it's because the hole is off center. Do I have to accept this reality or is there a way to fix it/was that person "blowing smoke" and maybe just didn't want to fix it for a perfect fit?

wifey

Lurker
Jan 24, 2018
There are literally no markings or text to transcribe. Only the design i tried to photograph. Ihave had three "experts" now look at it to make sure I am not missing anything. There is just the small carved design I tried to capture.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
When I read that the stem & shank don't align, my first thought was that the mortise hole was off center. From what I can see, the misalignment isn't that bad.

wifey

Lurker
Jan 24, 2018
Thanks all...guess it'll just be a mystery!
Question, is it easy to change a stem? I really feel it's too long now but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew trying to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.