PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
So I recently obtained permission to purchase $200 worth of baccy over the course of a week. My problem now is that a TAD is a symptom of a PAD. I want to purchase a second Trevi 320 and a new tundra 316 KS. Since she is a cigarette smoker it took a only bit of explanation of why I should buy pounds of tobacco and she understood my plight. But $170 worth of pipes and I fear the wrath of the living room couch for a month. Any suggestion of how to convince a woman concerning a PAD?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ask her about her shoe, jewelery, book, knick knack etc. collection. Btw, no permission asking here. I pay all the bills, and just buy whatever is in my budget. I set aside two grand per year for pipes and tobacco, and when that is exhausted, I wait until the next year.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Look at it this way. Three cartons of cigarettes costs around $170 (around here anyway). After one month, she will have a sore throat, smoker's hack, and a pile of smelly cigarette butts. After one month, you will still have a really nice $170 pipe.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Honestly, reading the OP, the trouble is neither PAD nor TAD.
Please confirm your post was wild hyperbole meant for humorous purpose, and not any sort of description of your actual marriage.
Because otherwise . . .damn.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Please, just don't build a "man cave" in order to try to combat this situation!
I can't help, as my partner doesn't have veto power over anything but sex.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Like the name! Are you Choctaw? My son is 1/4 from his mother's side, but apparently the great great grandfather was a douche and got banished from the roll.
Anyway, I got your back on the permission thing. In the army, I have met several people married to Japanese women who truly would need permission to spend $200 and then would face certain death if they wanted to tack on $170 more. Hell one of my friends had a whopping $50/month allowance. But they had a huge, awesome house and really nice cars soo... to each their own.
I don't know your wife. It would take a bit of knowledge more than the fact she smokes cancer sticks to determine what technique you should use to woo her into PAD.
Good luck though!

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Sorry can't help either....I run my show, and if my beautiful bride doesn't like it she knows where the door is.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
My favorite trick was to leave a catalogue, ad or such on the counter. It showed something at least three times as expensive as I actually intended to buy. When I came home with the less expensive alternative she was relieved! If she still objected I had her open her QVC account. That always made whatever I bought look like child's play.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Well.... Man needs a hobby.... Could be pipe smoking.... Could be other women.... Let her choose :rofl:

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Well the way I see it, as long as shes the one on the couch I don't see the problem.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
In the past year my wife has taken weekly private guitar, mandolin and fiddle lessons at the average rate of $40.00 and hour. I NEVER get complaints about my PAD and TAD expenditures. She has her budget and I have mine. We've been married 38 years, so the mutual understanding seems to work :D

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Simple.
Have them delivered to a friends house and then smuggle them into the pipe cabinet. My lady doesn't notice the difference between a Barling and a Brylon. Honestly, she has just given up and is use to seeing packages on the porch every week.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Have them delivered to a friends house and then smuggle them into the pipe cabinet.
Good grief. This is really getting kind of pathetic.
Unless you are kidding -- in which case, hilarious!

Mar 30, 2014
wv
My wife just shakes her head when I show her another pipe or more tins. About the same response I give her when she buys more shoes and purses. P.A.D.

Purse acquisition disorder.

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
Here is something that worked for me. I took my wife out to look at rifles the other day. I pointed out a beautiful Henry Big Boy with a price tag of close to $1000. She gasped, I walked away from the counter, nothing more was said. On Friday night I showed her a Stetson Stratoliner fedora in walnut. Since my wife loves my Stratoliner in caribou, she suggested that I get the brown hat. Now, if I had started out pointing out the hat first she would have thought it was beyond our means, but I did walk away from a rifle I had wanted, so the hat was small change in her eyes.

coraxsnag

Lurker
Feb 13, 2015
Too complicated, lads! Buy something for her at the same time you buy something for yourself. (Something she actually has said she wants, mind. Don't guess.)
Mind, since she IS an aficionado of coffin nails, it's not like she's got much room to fuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.