PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
Just finished restoring this nice little Orlik. I have several vintage Orlik pipes but can't find where this fits in. The name isn't in any of the historic data. Have looked in all the usual places. This has the brass circle on the stem,London Made on the left side, D9 on the right and a rather hefty stinger. The D doesn't match any grade that I can find. The shape number 9 is listed in early catalogues. So don't know if this is an earlier pipe or a recent production. It is a very nice piece of briar, has no fills or defects, is perfectly drilled and as the label says is "Drier Briar??". I think I'll smoke this one !! Please comment. Thanks, Hoppes

orlik.jpg

img_0474-1.jpg

img_0475-1.jpg

img_0476-1.jpg

img_0477-1.jpg

img_0479-1.jpg

img_0481-1.jpg

img_0484.jpg

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Hi Hoppes,

The Drier Briar was introduced by Orlik in mid-1959. The pipe was “specially recommended for the wet smoker”, and had a “streamlined filter made of one piece for easy removal and cleaning”. Its initial retail price was 30 shillings. Within a few years sandblast and dental versions were also being offered for sale. I’m not sure when the pipe was withdrawn from production but believe it was by the end of the 1960s. I’m reasonably sure the “D” on your pipe simply denotes the model (Drier Briar), but could confirm it when I have access to my records again after the weekend.

Jon

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a handsome restoration. The 'before' looks like a kind of grungy old cooker, but now it's something of a beauty.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
Thanks mso489. I'm still learning the art of restoration. I love working with briar but one has to be rather finicky and precise to get a good result. Hoppes

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Beautiful job! I have that same pipe in the Orlik seconds line Royal Sovereign and it's a great smoker.....one of my favorites. Mine doesn't have the stinger though and I estimated mine around the 60's when I was doing the research. Enjoy!

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
The 1959 catalog have the Orlik Turbo pipe.

The 1965 catalog have the Drier briar - series letter D, DX for sandblast and DD for dental.

I have never seen a Drier briar here in Denmark althrough Orlik had a good market here for medium priced pipes ( De Luxe)

in the sixties.

I should have one Drier briar from ebay - but I can not find it.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
By the way, Dennis Orlik wrote to me 8th June 1978: "All our pipes were previously stamped London Made because our factory was in London but in 1974 we moved our factory to Shoeburyness in Essex which explains why they are now stamped Made in England."

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Also, I think you nailed the color on the restoration. Pics are deceiving but your restored pipe is the exact same color finish as my little used Royal Sovereign. Again, nice job.

Status
Not open for further replies.