PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I have one decent car 2008 Mazda CX7 AWD Touring that is a beast in the snow. I have another POS Nissan Altima 2002 that my daughter drives. It constantly needs repairs in the few hundreds of dollars range every other month it seems. My credit union approved me today for just about any car I want save for a custom Bentley.
Any advice for a decent car with out spending too much. I want to stay in the mid-price range. I always regretted selling my little BMW 325i back in 2007. Keep in mind that this will be the primary car for a 20 year old daughter (kids don't take care of things now days in my experience) and a secondary car for me when I am at home.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I just had a conversation with my friend who owns a car lot the other day about kids not taking care of cars and what to get them that would be reliable. His #1 pick was a 6 cyl jeep GC then a Saturn Vue.

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
For a new vehicle the VW Passat TDI is hard to beat. But, the Mrs is driving a Chevy HHR we bought with 20k miles on it and its now at 137k miles and has cost nearly nothing to maintain. Really dependable and snow hasn't been an issue with it.
Of course, when my son hits driving age I've threatened to put him in a retired post office jeep painted pink so he will always know that he'll be spotted doing anything stupid.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
I have been driving HONDAS since 1988 , back in Spet. I got a new CRV LX.

But a used HONDA is a good buy. :D

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Jeep……..jeeeeeeeeep………….jeeeeeeeeeeeeeep! :rofl:
That out of system, I agree with Roth. Buy a used one to get a bit off, my 03 malibu I bought in 04 was half the original price. My 08 XK was bought in 2010 at less then 20K in hawaii where prices can get a bit higher due to shipping prices.
Good luck on the hunt.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Thanks guys. I still want to hear about recommendations so keep them coming please.

Dec 24, 2012
As far as foreign cars go, I personally would go with the Golf TDI or Jetta TDI unless you need a larger car, in which case the Passat is a good choice. The wife drives an Audi A3 TDI, which is really a glorified Golf with the same engine. She gets unbelievable gas mileage on the thing. The benefit of the Golf or Jetta over the Passat is the former two don't use urea as part of their diesel system. Nothing wrong with having to fill up the separate urea tank every scheduled maintenance, but it does add to the maintenance bill.
One thing that has always worried me about VWs (and Audis too) is electrical system issues. If you look at consumer reports, they have had more than their share of these types of problems. We have had the Audi A3 for almost three years now though and haven't had any concerns. I also drive an Audi as my daily driver and have also not had any issues, though I am a bit nervous given what I have read about electrical problems.
On the domestic front, you should also consider a Ford Fiesta or Focus, as they receive great ratings and are cheaper than a VW. The same goes for a Chevy Cruze (soon to be available with a diesel engine as well, if you like that).

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
New is a rip off in my opinion. A low mileage no frills to break . Early 2000s Toyota Camry is hard to beat. In my opinion.

+1 Ten year old plus Toyotas are the way to go. My brother has a Camry with 220k, and I have a 4Runner with almost 560k. Although, I don't like what has happened to the build quality since then.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Toyotas are the way to go , I had a Corolla that survived 3 teenagers, low maintence, bullet proof, why do you see these in 3 rd world countries full up, they take a licking and keep on ticking.

Dec 24, 2012
Owning a Toyota car to me is definitely waving the white flag of surrender to old age. No offence Old Cajun, :rofl: I hope you have a truck/SUV and not a Toyota car.
On a more serious note though, when I was a much younger guy, Toyota made some great sporty cars. I recall drooling over a Toyota Supra and loved the Celica.
And then . . . something happened to that company. It just became staid and boring and so did the product line.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
For a college girl? A good used Kia or Hyundai (Optima or Sonata). My youngest took a used Optima (2006) to New Orleans and it was bullet proof. It was totaled down there (guy hit her, she was ok). She bought a used Optima down there and it's also performed flawlessly. She bought a "certified car" (or whatever Kia calls it) and it had a full 100k warranty, that to this point hasn't been used.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
As you mention about kids not taking care of things I would get something that parts are easy to come by, and easy to work on. If you like to work with your hands and enjoy a day in the shop get something that is older that runs great (they don't build them like they use to).
As far as new cars I have a friend with a Jetta and I like it, having a diesel car is awesome. My wife bought a 07 Sentra before we married and it still runs great, the paint on it is fading in the back.
When you drive it what do you want to use it for?

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Peck I'm just saying they are bullet proof, easy on the wallet and just the thing for a young person and Dad footing the bill, I have had 427 Ford with 2 4 BBLS, GTO 442, Corvette L82 High Performance, Cadillac Eldoredo with a 500 cubic inch engine, and a Friend and I had a Datsum pickup we shoe horned a 454 in it and run it at the strip. Cars I know, now old fart that I am I drive a Tundra, sometimes when I am driving I get the urge to lay a patch of that blk stuff on the pave, but old fart that I am I just putter along. LOL

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Why not give the Mazda to your daughter and get a snow-worthy but sporty car for yourself. I think people should

get zippy new cars when they get to the place where they can pay for them themselves, and not before.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
a good used Honda Civic or earlier body style CR-V. yes, you will pay a little more for 'honda' but there is a reason. We have owned nothing but Honda since '96 and none have ever been to the shop for anything other then standard scheduled maint.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I would recommend a used Honda civic. When one looks at the numbers buying a used car is definitely the way to go, unless you fancy a brand new car in which case paying it all up front in cash is the most logical way of doing it. When taken from a number heavy, logic driven standpoint the only kind of debt that is actually "good" is house debt. All other debt should be avoided at all costs. You don't need to build a good credit score if you don't jump into things you don't need or can't afford. Me not having a credit score isn't going to effect me buying a house when I walk into it with 20% down. I would strongly advise against buying a car you can't pay cash for.
I realize I'm young and "inexperienced" in the ways of the world, but I have done my homework and do know what I am talking about.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I steer clear of the Passat after having 14 service calls in 2 years and being towed 4 of those times. Total lemon. I traded it in and got a Toyota 4runner. No issues.
Now prior to owning the 2006 Passat I had a Subaru WRX. You have snow? How about the dependability and saftey of a Subaru Legacy?
While I see many people commenting on Honda, Toyota for reliability - I do remember you suggesting mid-range. I personally own two toyotas very dependable. But that said, I also really miss my subaru.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I purchased a used 2011 Ford Fusion earlier this year. Gets 35 mpg and runs great. You can get one for practically nothing compared to todays's prices and they handle well,

run smoothly & are as comfortable as can be. A real bargain IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.