PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankrem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Huntsville, Arkansas
Okay so here is my question.
I have really enjoyed Seattle pipe club plum pudding. I love the deepness of the flavor and the smoothness.
So - Looking for something similar - With possibly more sweetness - Pleasant room note for the wife. Yet still with that rich dark flavor like the plumb pudding. Maybe in the aromatic realm or just a maybe edging that way.
Not sure if the two can even coexist - However if you can think of anything that might fit the bill I would love your recommendations.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
I also enjoy Plum Pudding. If you haven't tried it I would recommend the Plum Pudding Special Reserve. Russ' Tastykake to me was in the same vein as Plum Pudding. It might be worth a try. I also enjoy Rattray's Black Mallory very much. It is not quite the same as Plum Pudding but it has that deepness of flavor. You may enjoy it if you can find it. Although I have several tins and have not yet tried it, Bengal Slices (Black) by description alone may be something that fits what you are looking for. There are certainly many here who have smoked it and can probably comment further.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
In short.......nothing! I know, it's the best answer, right? What I can tell you is that SPC Plum Pudding is probably my favorite English..ish blend tobacco. My other favorite English...ish blends are as follows:
GL Pease Maltese Falcon

Plum Pudding Reserve

Black Frigate

Boswell's Northwoods

Esoterica Penzance or Margate or in your case maybe Pembroke

Dunhill Nightcap

and a local blend by G&P tobaccos called Seward's Folly
You should pick up the first 4 on principle alone if you haven't already. They are easy to find and not to be missed by anyone who likes Latakia.
Good luck with the Latakia + Room Note search. Let me know if you find one, I won't hold my breath. Frog Morton Cellar may be the closest, and is a great blend, but good luck getting ahold of that (unless you want to pay $1 per gram).

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I buy the SPC Plum Pudding Special Reserve because it is sweeter, at least to me. So there is an alternative. C&D Dreams of Kadath and Sunset Harbor Flake have a somewhat similar flavor profile and are quite good. GLP Cairo. There were some other good suggestions listed previously. Watch City Northeaster definitely warrants a try. HU Tobacco Asmara, Krater Plug and Joschi's Oriental Sunrise. And of course, Penzance.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
I got a recommendation for you. It's no plum pudding (I'm smoking that litterly right now btw) but it's still damn good, cults conspiracy. It's an aromatic with a little lat in it and it's really good. BUT the lat, since you're already on the plum p, is a little light. I like to add a pinch of a strong lat blend now and days and it's still pretty dang good. It smells good too

pinchoftobacco

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2018
Dunhill nightcap is an acquired taste but definitely has deep rich flavor...maybe not as sweet as you want though.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Another vote here for Bengal Slices. I actually prefer it to Plum Pudding, and it has a unique topping that may help on the room note front as well. Maltese Falcon, too.
Have you had Mississippi River? It's more of a VA family blend IMO than an English/Lat blend, but it has a lot of the same components as PP, including a bit of Lat

Status
Not open for further replies.