PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Looking for a “classy” pipe. Keep getting clients in that I have to “wine and dine” and most of them actually do smoke. Mainly cigars and cigs, but don’t mind if I join in. I love my pipes but when I am dressed to the 10s they just don’t match. I really never noticed or cared. However my wife mentioned I should get one, so taking advantage of this unprecedented green light. Though I would reach out for some suggestions. I prefer bent pipes, briar, and under $250.00 for this purchase if possible. (the last sentence on my review read I noticed was a horrible lie, I PREFER cobs, on my boat, fishing. I guess if these out on the town nights are a required headache , might as well get a pipe for the occasion)

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Look up dress pipes. They usually have a slick black finish. Dunhill makes some, big ben makes some, as do almost every other brand.
also called tuxedo pipes

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Depends on the look you're going for. If you want completely classic, go look at Dunhills. The price range you're in will let you shop a pretty good selection of them on Ebay.

If you want something thats elegant, but nontraditional, look to Italy. The best Danish pipes are really out of reach on that budget, but Italy will give you some sharp looking pipes.

Look at used Rinaldos, they do great silver work and make some sharp looking pipes.

Look at Ser Jacopo, Mastro de Paja, Don Carlos.

These guys are sort of the bridge between classic and far out Danish styles. I think personally that non-pipe smokers are more impressed with flashy wild looking pipes than they are with a well made traditional shape. With a nice Italian maker, you can have the classy look to match your clothes, but with a little more personality.

If you want to double your budget though, I'd go American or Danish.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Petersen has a nice sellection of Black pipes that would match a tux. Almost every pipe making company has what i call statment pipes, to show your status in the limelight so to speak.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
There are some pretty good looking Stanwell pipes for well under your budget. So you might as well just get two! :D I recently got a feather weight Stanwell and would say it is a beauty. You looking for a bent pipe or a straight? Either way check out smokingpipes.com
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/stanwell/index.cfm

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Lonestar gives some great advice.
I'll just add to look beyond Dunhill when it comes to British pipes. Upshall, Ferndown, Ashton are excellent, top-shelf makers. With a little luck you might be able to find one of these new that's close to your price range.
Mid-grade Brit pipes include Millville (though they're hard to fine here in the states), Blakemar and Invicta. All are "classy" enough and are well below your limit.
Let us know what you end up with.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
My Stanwell

DSC05352.jpg

Edit: Fixed the Pic, L

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Heres two from my collection I'd be willing to sell if you like them.

First is Japanese, an asymmetrical Tsuge Ikebana grade DE

phone009.jpg

The second is Italian, a Mastro de Paja pesaro media 1C

phone013.jpg

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
For this endevor I am picturing something black, with silver. The Peterson people have something I think will fit the bill. Also really like their Christmas green samples as well. I do apperciate the help and time though. Love the look of that first pipe, but money already earmarked for something else.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Great man, thats all that matters. I wasnt keen to sell either one actually :D But now I can tell my wife I tried to sell a couple of them today.

Post pics of what you end up with.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Nording makes a gorgeous dress pipe in black with a black and white acrylic stem, but I find mine to be kind of a PITA to smoke. It may just be the shape I got or the fact that I don't have enough cake in it yet, but we're having a difficult "training" period.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Found a couple I would like to have as "dress pipes" I looked at all the smooth briar pipes on Smokingpipes.com (figured I should give them some love since we've all been on P&C's nuts lately lol)
First up, a Nording: Dress Smooth Freehand

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Nording/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=95647

002-508-0275.jpg

Peterson: Racing Green (D6) Fishtail It's green but it's sexy, I like this a lot.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=95511

002-029-12955.jpg

Peterson: System Standard Ebony (302) Fishtail (simple my least fav of the 4)

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=94805

002-029-12990.jpg

Castello: Perla Nera Bent Dublin (KK)

This is my fav of the 4, a bit out of your price range, and mine too. I have a hard time spending this much on a pipe, but later in life I might think it's worth it.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/castello/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=91024

002-386-0835.jpg

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
A green pipe... I thought you wanted something "classy".
(sorry, couldn't resist)

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
ok i have a couple ebony black pipes that were gifts that were got off ebay for 20 30 bucks that were made in and were shipped out of china. surprisingly good smokers at that price point one could buy serveral different styles and not be out alot on something thats not gonna be a daly smoker

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Get the Peterson ebony & ivory set. You can find them for just under $300. But you get two nice classy pipes. One white, one black. One bent, one straight. Your choice which one comes bent and which one straight. In other words, they sell two sets. One with the black bent/white straight and one with the black straight/white bent
Good luck

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
I smoke a Peterson Rocky Donegal billiard with silver band when I need to wear a tux; looks quite classy.

Status
Not open for further replies.