PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
So I'm looking for some help. I need a new camera. I don't have a smartphone. I would like a camera that I can take pictures with and upload them from the camera directly to the Internet through my at home wifi connection. Any suggestions?
I've been using my current camera then manually transferring them onto my computer via SD card, then uploading them to the Internet via my computer. I'd like to focus more on pipemaking and reduce a few steps if possible.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Dear Adam,
If your camera supports (probably it does) the USB cable, then after taking pictures you may just connect the cable to the computer and access the pictures via cable and upload them to the internet. You will be eliminating SD card removal-insert copy paste process.
Or you have 3 options as below:
1) Take photos with a smartphone, upload them to the internet using the phone. You may also back up the photos and access them via your computer.
2) Take photos with a digital camera, transfer them to your computer and upload them to the internet. That's the thing you are doing right now. What you can do is just making the transfer method easier. Some cameras will support cable, bluetooth or wifi transfer. Photos taken by a camera are considered to be raw files so you have to edit them before publishing. That's why most cameras (even the best ones) won't support direct upload from a camera to the internet.
3) You may buy a digital camera with a WIFI support however you will still need a computer or smartphone to view the pictures and upload them to the internet. I know that there are few cameras that you can access the internet from however they are not that popular and are pricey I guess.
Hope that helps.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
What's your budget?
If you're thinking about using this for the new business, give some consideration to your lighting. Good lighting and a decent camera will get you farther along than poor lighting and a great camera.

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
I agree. Your budget and what the camera will be used for will determine which is best for your needs.
Rich

4noggins.com

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I have a Nikon SLR that almost gets no use anymore on account of the iPhone 6 camera being so incredibly easy to use, quick, and convenient, almost always upon my person, and honestly takes as good pictures at a higher resolution than the Nikon... which is an excellent camera. I've even learned how to photo-edit pictures in the phone, so aside from "small": convenience, quality, speed, any kind of access, trumps all. PLUS you can surf the Forum on the phone as well!! Smart phones do more than I ever imagined... and I was something of an anti-smart-phone Luddite for a good long while.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Thanks for all of the responses.
I think I'll be looking into this wireless SD card thingo. Seems like the most reasonable thing to try pricewise. It isn't that I don't like the camera I have, and I am setting up a proper light box, I just want more convenience without getting on a smartphone plan.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Be sure to check out the transfer speed of the cards. Some are quite slow and not all can record new photos while beaming out the old ones to the interwebs. Additionally, some of the cards used to have a cap on the size of the files you could export limiting them to Facebook-esque resolution which may or may not be an issue to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.