Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Long story short; my friend has glaucoma and can no longer smoke his favorite, St. Bruno, due to high nic hit. I can’t think of a suitable replacement. Can you?
Thanks!!!

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
I really cant think of anything that has reminded me of St. Bruno of blessed memory, I must say. It is unique and stands alone. The modern version sold in the states is pretty nicotine free--perhaps the european market is still stout?
I'd honestly suggest that your friend tastes and tries his way through the scented offerings of the Gawiths...there will be nothing identical to St. Bruno, on whom be Peace, but some are reminiscent. I wish him luck.

Aug 3, 2018
I really cant think of anything that has reminded me of St. Bruno of blessed memory, I must say. It is unique and stands alone. The modern version sold in the states is pretty nicotine free--perhaps the european market is still stout?
I'd honestly suggest that your friend tastes and tries his way through the scented offerings of the Gawiths...there will be nothing identical to St. Bruno, on whom be Peace, but some are reminiscent. I wish him luck.
I tried it here in the UK not that long ago and didn't find it particularly strong either.

Aug 3, 2018
I tried it here in the UK not that long ago and didn't find it particularly strong either.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Sorry. I meant to say St. Bruno Flake. Is the RR version lighter? I've only tried the old RR version so I'm not familiar with the MacB incarnation.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
You can't just expect to find a "light" version of a tobacco blend. To me, St Bruno Flake is a lightly topped va/bur. The burley is dark fired, which is probably why it has a decent medium nic hit. Anything that is light in nicotine will also be lighter in flavor unless it is an aromatic. For a topped virginia with a little less nicotine I would recommend Orlik Golden Sliced. I would also recommend to try smoking smaller bowls. A half bowl of St Bruno gives you all the flavor and half the nicotine.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
That’s a tough bill to fill. I’ve read gh broken flake #7, Bosun’s cp and Kendal flake are similar to St. Bruno. I’m not sure I’d classify any as low nic, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.