PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
After perusing these threads and seeing all of the beautiful and functional kits you guys have, I thought I'd show you what a "Neanderthal Newbee Kit" looks like. :lol:
At this phase of my hobby (the beginning), I can't afford a $200 pipe with all the fancy trimmings, so I get by with what I can piece together. Being the novice I am, this is working fine so far. Eventually, I hope to graduate into the more sophisticated ranks. :wink:
I made a tobacco pouch out of an old elk hide that my father tanned when he was young and fastened it with a concho I wasn't using. I used more of the hide, an antler button, and a drawstring to make a pouch for my pipe and other accessories. Using a file, I rounded the tip of a tiny old pocketknife, and I use it to clean out my bowl. The tamper is just a stick I whittled on the back porch. Yes, that's a Bic lighter. When I don't have it, I carry waterproofed wooden matches. I always have a couple pipe cleaners in my pipe bag, as well.
Like I said, I'm a long way from most of you, but right now the kit suffices, and I am loving the peace and relaxation of my new hobby.
Cheers!
10208_240784709431125_1966278929_n.jpg

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
I really like that home-made tamper you have there - thanks for sharing!

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Nice!
Man sometimes I just prepack a cob, grab a bic, and use my finger for a tamper. I can't be bothered with gear I've got beers to hold and three kids to wrangle.
I have two modes. Smoking at rest (with all the cute trimmings and rituals) and smoking at unrest (which involves working and/or kid rustling).

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
It's always satisfying to make things yourself! I try to make all of my muzzleloading possibles myself, and it always gives me a sense of gratification, as well as knowing that no one else has anything exactly like mine. I think you did a fine job, congrats!

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I think that is pretty awesome... I have some deer hide just rooled up in the garage; perhaps I'll try my hand at something like this. Happy smoking! :puffy:

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I think we are all partial to really cool "I made it myself" stuff. And this totally qualifies. Nice work!
Looks more legit than my setup.
Yeah I might have the bag that holds 4 pipes and all my shit but my tobacco on the go is still stored in mother flippin' plastic baggies.
Everywhere I load up it looks suspicious.
That should be the next thing I need to invest in; a nice tobacco pouch that won't let me down... and it's gonna have to be washable... which from what I remember hearing a lot of them aren't.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
That's nice looking.

I think we are all partial to really cool "I made it myself" stuff. And this totally qualifies.
I completely agree, more so because this is not one of my gifts. I am much better at doing things with my head then with my hands. :D

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Hey Ranger,
Welcome aboard!!! I see you have a dozen posts so far so you have been asking/adding content to our little forum. I hope you are getting some good info here.
I have to agree with Spartan and tip my hat to you. I am far more proud of things I create/repurpose with my own hands than stuff that I buy at the store. Not to mention, your shit looks really cool, which adds even more coolness.
What pipe are you smoking? Have you thought of adding a few cobs to your rotation so you can give that girl a rest between smokes?
Cheers,
Dan :puffy:

natibo

Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
Far better than I could I could ever do. My idea of fixing up my house is changing the light bulb and fixing up my car is pumping gas. I hire handymen, lawn cutters, and mechanics. My idea of camping is staying in a Motel instead of Hotel.

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
Yazamitaz wrote:
What pipe are you smoking? Have you thought of adding a few cobs to your rotation so you can give that girl a rest between smokes?
I actually have 2 Missiouri cobs, and I probably smoke them more than anything else. They match my knuckle-dragger mentality AND my kit design! 8) I've only had the one in the photo for a day!

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Son you got originality, the old Cajuns were like that use what you got. Forums members here as you see didn't make any bad comments but appreciated what you did . Well Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.