PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Aboard ship in the Navy of the earliest 1970's, we'd often have new shipmates right out of bootcamp and just out of high school before that, and of course, when liberty call came, they'd go drinking with shipmates. The joke was that when it came to drinking beer, these kids would drink one, spill one, and give one away. That would be the evening, then back to the ship singing loudly.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Yep MSO I remember the jokes and kidding around. I was at Little Creek Va and my buddies would razz me about dancing, going back to the time they asked What do yo do for Fun. I answered I go to the dance, they didn't know that was a place to also get in a good fight, that was more fun. So Friday comes we go to theClub and Lo and Behold they had entered me in the Jitterbug contest. Well I won the Damn thing, got 100$, and I had them beg for drinks, HaHa, I spent it all and we had a good time.Ah Youth it really is wasted on the young.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Arrived at my first unit in March 1972 in Seattle and if you were under 21 the only place to drink was either the EM club at the Sand Point Naval base or the EM club at this little Army post. It was more fun at the Army post when they had dances. All the Coasties and Sailors would let the Army guys spend their money buying drinks for the local women and then we would take the girls home. The Navy, Coast Guard and Marines all hung out together back then.
Funny thing, a couple of us junior guys were taken under the wing so to speak of this one CWO who schooled us about drinking in taverns. He did a good job because I would go into some of these places and sit and drink but the cops would always skip by me when checking IDs. He was a pipe smoker and we would at the bar drinking and smoking our pipes. Dated one barmaid for 4 months before she found out I was under 21.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Boy, the drinking age and i.d.'s. I think I can faintly remember the last time I was carded. After that maybe once or twice as a flattering joke. Now they don't card me for senior movie tickets or the Thursday grocery discount. And I am glad, and not nearly as old as I'd like to become.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Yep reminds me of the time we took my Dad to a Movie, my Dad tells the ticket agent in Broken English I want one of those Retarted Tickets, Wife jumps in and says Sanford you're retired not Retarted, he Retorts, What's the Difference. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.