PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
0RtSZgp.jpg

3RKqiFL.jpg

VI7cp7o.jpg

We probably all know how intertwined the history of tobacco and sailing are, and how many of those early traditions are still with us today.
Here's a brief timeline:
1564 or 1565: ENGLAND: Tobacco is introduced into England by Sir John Hawkins and/or his crew. Tobacco is used cheifly by sailors, including those employed by Sir Francis Drake, until the 1580s. (Chroniclers of the day took little note of the customs of sailors. Crews under the command of less famous captains than Hawkins would be given even less notice. But Spanish and Portuguese sailors spread the practice around the world--probably first to fellow sailors at port cities. There is no reason to suppose Hawkins' crew particularly advanced in comparison to those on other English ships. In sum, there could well have been a small underground of seafaring tobacco users in England for decades before officialdom took notice. Hawkins and his crew are usually given the credit, but in reality, take this with a grain of sea-salt.)
1573 ~ Sir Francis Drake returns to England from the Americas with 'Nicotina tobacum'.
1586 ~ Tobacco Arrives in English Society. In July, some of the Virginia colonists returned to Plymouth, smoking tobacco from pipes, which caused a sensation. Tobacco in the Elizabethan age was known as 'Sotweed'.
1613 ~ John Rolfe and his wife Pocahontas grow the first commericial crop of 'tall tobacco' in Jamestown, Virginia and the first shipment of Rolfe's tobacco arrives in England. The Virginia colony enters the world tobacco market, under English protection.
1614 ~ King James I of England makes the import of tobacco a Royal monopoly, available for a yearly fee of £14,000. 'There be 7000 shops in and about London that doth vent Tobacco'
1776 ~ In America, along the 'Tobacco Coast' ~ the Chesapeake,~ the Revolutionary War began. Tobacco growers found themselves perpetually in debt to British merchants and owed the mercantile houses millions of pounds. Tobacco helped finance the Revolution. George Washington appealed to his countrymen for aid 'If you can't send money, send tobacco'. When the war was over, tobacco taxes to help repay the revolutionary war debt.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
The naval and nautical images are so strong and they've played such a formative role in our associations of tobacco,

that the two will always be somehow linked.

:

:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYKWupLYiK8

:

:

Here's just a small gallery of such images, a few tins, and there are many more out there,

as well as tons of print advertising on the theme...
xKIlobc.jpg

X2pPqdE.jpg

HCrYzyB.jpg

9IG13uP.jpg

5GeTUsp.jpg

CG0GmIf.jpg

7V2u8So.jpg

Gjisg0N.jpg

YbL2QZ9.jpg

DF2TXOp.jpg

1f0akWY.jpg

nHb1Bg6.jpg

KGV8E3X.jpg

VogQNAg.jpg

207gUaK.jpg

gdBbofO.jpg

3r5zlI7.jpg

FVUSaAq.jpg

HJ7RUpm.jpg

9fixRdY.jpg

pxphnNk.jpg

R8Y5ZwO.jpg

aRfMyOT.jpg

tm6tAE4.jpg

BOE6HG6.jpg

UOOgT5R.jpg

gJpgm85.jpg

gWzudoi.jpg

P2gnkkE.jpg

pmA4K1V.jpg

n2usBR6.jpg

4aOGCl1.jpg

iWQlE7p.jpg

saOtNVg.jpg

IDoPQDO.jpg

Turriv1.jpg

Cw2sfsS.jpg

E1Avrxo.jpg

CvYiqC6.jpg

0coOpCp.jpg

z0LcYgu.jpg

RCdbyjO.jpg

AK7HenZ.jpg

CmhdI6A.jpg

VqtRX8P.jpg

dOfxEgF.jpg

cH7p7xx.jpg

nrgVDAD.jpg

0LWq6l1.jpg

DjiQRxs.jpg

PxwjqoK.jpg

gSfUrta.jpg

jYEGm0D.jpg

D8J7qyT.jpg

xCy0J9j.jpg

2GoyJ6L.jpg

6z9XjI9.jpg

Az3K8To.jpg

TgcUuKL.jpg

plebYtY.jpg

3bamSrc.jpg

tOnKTvt.jpg

rBT6Ul0.jpg

zyEAUIc.jpg

aegUlf3.jpg

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Jolly Sailor Tobacco is often mentioned in Terry Pratchett's Disk World series. I doubt it is / was a real blend. Awesome book series, if you like fantasy from a British perspective.
Winton

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Another wonderful post Mr. LC!
Below is an interesting historical anecdote regarding Sir Walter Raleigh’s voyages to the New World:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7YBaiJMnik

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
The earliest reference I could find of tobacco accompanying sailors was on Vasco da Gama's first direct voyage from Europe to India and further points in 1498, listed on the ship manifest. I mention it in passing here.
And I heartily second the notion of mr lower contributing historical articles! We pipers have a fondness for days past it seems.

easydraw

Lurker
Nov 23, 2012
The history of tobaccos and what it ment to the people of thoughs times, has always captured my imagination. Thank you for sharing the pics Awsome! :puffpipe:

May 31, 2012
Thanks everyone, glad y'all enjoyed 'em!
And thanks very much romeowood for the Vasco da Gama tip, interesting stuff.
Many of these kinda posts I make are justa buncha images I've gathered, with little real writing.

I've been with pipe for 2 years now and it was a completely unknown world, I was quickly won over and fell in deep love with a healthy thirst for discovering all the historical aspects, which are so many as to be of nearly cosmic proportion, and it's been fun as well as educational getting to know the former touchstones 'n such, as it adds to the overall experience for my total enjoyment, I realize there's a danger to rosy-eyed romanticism and I try to keep it all balanced, knowing of the past has helped me to appreciate the present.
At the moment, I am working on a semi-serious writing project relating to all the old UK tobacco-makers, but it's slow work. Accurate references, or any info at all, is often hard to come by, I have a few books with indepth material, but I'm missing the ever-crucial trade-journals of the old days, which really open the secret code...
...but just from a cursory search online, I now know more about Robert Sinclair of Newcastle-on-Tyne that I think I'll ever need to know LOL he's obscure, but not as obscure as many of the others, like Thomson & Porteous for example, or Cohen & Weenen, there were so many at one time --- I'm trying to compile and collate the available info and put it all together, profiling one company or brand at a time.
That said, everything I'm finding is of secondary sources, what I really really enjoy reading about are firsthand accounts from pipesmokers themselves who were actually there and might've smoked some of this old stuff right off the shelf and their experiences wayback when.
Well, here's a few more images thrown overboard...

I2eIgqt.jpg

0OGq5eT.jpg

h6yEEZk.jpg

NmW6mM8.jpg

QDZRKuL.jpg

61iKedq.jpg

4bEzvUP.jpg

RM8oOFh.jpg

xIjXYbA.jpg

CujLEKN.jpg

MaVLxPu.jpg

DnP4QE4.jpg