PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
This is disappointing, to say the least.
Sponsors, I understand, but pipe makers pulling I don't. How is this affecting them at this time?! What am I missing?!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Well that sucks. I have been unable to attend any pipe shows this year and planned to come up to Nashville. Maybe they could persuade Uptowns to do something like the Briary event. Showcase 1 or 2 carvers in the shop and have a slow smoke contest. I would come up for that.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have not read the FDA regulations thoroughly, so I might be missing something, but why would this affect a pipe show? Are the sponsors just not willing to have their names tied to something the could bring the FDA down on them? Or are they concerned that investing money at this time would be unwise due to the pending legislation?

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
It's money - if they have to spend money to register their tobaccos, worry about legal issues... then pipemakers are reading the ruling where it basically is saying that any pipes are regulated too, so they are quitting.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The FDA regs forbid "free" samples, so that's a large part of it. Not only do pipe and tobacco makers suffer but hotels, restaurants and other businesses in the area will lose out. Good going FDA. I hope someone lets the city of Nashville know what they are going to lose in potential revenue.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It's money - if they have to spend money to register their tobaccos, worry about legal issues... then pipemakers are reading the ruling where it basically is saying that any pipes are regulated too, so they are quitting.
Such a shame. But I've not seen anyone state that pipe carvers will be regulated. Worries, yes, but nothing remotely definitive on that. And I hope it stays that way!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sign of the times, and when it gets really bad, they can try to pry my pipe from my cold, dead hand.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I went to Basil Meadows' website last night and he now states that he is quitting as of July 31 due to the FDA regs.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I went to Basil Meadows' website last night and he now states that he is quitting as of July 31 due to the FDA regs.
I still think these pipe makers are bailing too soon. Its an hand crafted artistic piece, made for smoking yes. I'd make them until someone served me papers first.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That anything as wonderfully titled as the Southern Fried Pipe Show should be cancelled is demoralizing. The TAPS pipe show in Raleigh expanded to a larger fairground venue this year, so I hope that can be sustained. I think tobacco samples, such as the generous Lanes sample table this year, will be prohibited, if I understand correctly. We will have to stubbornly adapt to, and persist in a changing scene. Driving pipe smokers into odd, outsider locations, and making us look more counter culture than we mean to be, will only raise our drama and credibility with younger age groups through the roof, through no fault of our own. How would you like to be a college student discovering a circle of pipe smokers meeting in a ramshackle machine shop out in the country, trading pipes, stories, and home mix blends. A kid might think it was a movement.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There's nothing in the Regs that I've found which affects pipe makers, except that they can't make all metal pipes or stone pipes as those are associated with drug paraphernalia. Can any pipe maker address this?
Maybe some are just spooked, others making a political statement - which would be the equivalent of giving the GOV what it wants - or it's none of the above and this was a decision to consolidate efforts and expense on larger shows during uncertain times. Maybe the Nashville Show didn't perform well enough for its vendors.
Supposedly, all the tables at Chicago are already sold out. Can anyone confirm?
If New Orleans folds but the WCPS doesn't, I'd be inclined to think that it's consolidation. If both fold, it's more likely a rout.
The sad part is that I think that pipe shows could have a more important role in future, rather than a lesser one, especially if Internet sales get banned. Tobacco companies may not be able to supply free samples, but that doesn't mean that they can't sell product. Pipe makers can sell their product directly to the consumer.

May 4, 2015
then pipemakers are reading the ruling where it basically is saying that any pipes are regulated too, so they are quitting.
But it doesn't say how or to what degree. No financial impact has been described at all to my knowledge, so what is the motivation to stop carving and selling pipes at this time?
Can a pipe carver chime in here?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
jQfX7ur.png

9EWWFZu.png

May 4, 2015
They can. But they aren't.
What is the motivation for cutting bait now, then? Is "I'm out because of these new FDA regulations" just bluster and an excuse to quit by some who were looking for a way out anyway?
If no tangible effects are happening that are affecting carvers, "claiming they can regulate" pipes doesn't mean anything.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
What is the motivation for cutting bait now, then? Is "I'm out because of these new FDA regulations" just bluster and an excuse to quit by some who were looking for a way out anyway?

From what I heard this show had issues long before the FDA ruling. 8O

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I was reading the threads on the pipe makers' forum and there was a concern that the FDA could require stringent descriptions of all aspects of a pipe including precise measurements of bowls and airways, stems and shapes and that every variation would require a filing, etc. Not that this is going to happen, just that it's possible.
It was also pointed out that all sorts of wood crafts, bowls, serving utensils, etc are made by artisan makers and sold all over the country, under FDA regs, and that none of that level of stringent requirement has happened.
There's fear and uncertainty and those who do this as an avocation are considering just dropping it. It's really too bad because most of these guys have a considerable financial investment in tools and stock, which will now just sit, all based on speculation over possibilities. I've never known a series of "what if" thoughts to lead to anything but fear.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Tom and Dave ---
You are both right. Politicians call it "plausible deniability", regular people call it "cover."
Shaking a tree will always cause its loose branches and leaves to fall.
The pipe hobby will not only come out of this period of wing-flapping just fine, but healthier. Too many "get rich overnight" types were becoming attracted to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.