PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phage74

Lurker
Jun 27, 2009
Has anyone here tried nasal snuff? I tried is a few days ago and enjoyed it. I have used it about nine times now and think it will be something fun to play with, in addition to pipe smoking of course.
Have any of you tried nasal snuff? If so, did you like it?

phage74

Lurker
Jun 27, 2009
It tingles and burns a little at first. Then you feel the nicotine very quickly. As soon as the tingling and burning has died down, and even some before, you smell the snuff's "flavor". It is a very intense smell sensation that lasts for around 30 minutes. It is almost as if you are tasting with your nose. Snuff comes in many flavors such as strawberry, tangerine, rum and maple, cherry, medicated (with eucalyptus or some other ingredient to open the sinuses and give a refreshing feeling), and coffee.
It does give you an energy boost. It is the nicotine that does this. After I use snuff I'm usually in a great mood for about an hour from the nicotine.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I enjoy nasal snuff quite a bit. I do go through periods where I won't use it at all and then I'll me in the mood to enjoy it and use it frequently.
One of my favorites is Gawith Apricot Snuff.
Kendal Snuff by Gawith & Hoggarth and Wilson's of Sharrow Snuff.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It never occurred to me that there was a flavor component to the enjoyment of nasal snuff. I may consider using it someday; but for now it doesn't have the appeal of pipes. A good deal of the pleasure I get from this pastime is all the futzing around I get to do with its toys. How much fun can you have playing with a snuff box and Kleenex? :)

whiskeymick

Lurker
Dec 18, 2009
London UK
Nasal snuff is wondrous stuff especially when you can't smoke which is becoming increasingly common in many public places. Health issues associated with its use are insignificant. Gawith Apricot snuff is really nice. There are some snuffs that will nearly always make you sneeze (dry, light and very finely ground) like 'Irish Dry Toast' and some much more moist dark snuffs like 'London Snuff' that are easier on the nose. Personally, I detest medicated/menthol/eucalyptus snuffs (no one I know ever smokes a menthol pipe!) and I stay shy of most of the fruit salad brands. The best is just plain old, good quality tobacco, ground to a consistancy that suits you.

I recommend that you give it a try and then get ready for SBAD as opposed to PAD!

If anyone is interested I'll post some pics of my favorite snuffs that you might consider testing out. Experiment a lot - it's cheap as chips!!
Tip: If you take snuff - don't blow your nose on a white hankerchief - people will think you have run out of toilet paper!

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Cortezattic Said: Phil said one brand gave him a bloody nose. Did he rush the break-in process? :) :) :)
While Phil's nosebleed is not amusing, your post is! LMAO.
I have heard from a couple of other people that they got nosebleeds when they tried nasal snuff. I am thinking the snuff that they tried might have been really dry American style snuff. Like the ones they sell in the grocery store. I have never experienced a nose bleed from using snuff. I use moist snuff. It could also be that the nasal passage is very sensitive.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
All in good fun. Snuff is a very old form of tobacco use, and I respect the "each to his own" principle. Heck, I may even try it. (Maybe I'd have more luck with my cubed Burley problem if I shoved it up my.... well, never mind.)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
SnuffJoke-1.jpg

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Mick, you have to put the image location - meaning the actual url of the image, like this.

http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/649/snuffs-600x407.jpg
You had the page location:

http://pipesmagazine.com/members/whiskeymick/album/picture/131
I fixed it for you in your previous post to the above.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
Mick the snuff sounds good. I recently started using the tobacco pouches. They help when my nerves are on edge and I can't light up.

whiskeymick

Lurker
Dec 18, 2009
London UK
I don't generally take snuff if i can smoke instead Mick. But I've been known to use it often on occasions when smoking is a no-no. Teaching students for instance, or stuck in some labourious meeting all morning. It takes the edge off until I can escape!!

It's also handy at gigs, concerts, cinemas, museums etc etc.

I would recommend it to anyone who suffers from nicotine withdrawal including those who are trying to give up ciggies. Hugely cheaper than patches and more effective (a nicotine hit when you need it and not a constant feed from a patch). If you give it a try, let me know how you get on. Don't go giving up yer pipe thou fella!!! :)

whiskeymick

Lurker
Dec 18, 2009
London UK
haha Phil! Ozona Rasberry is like sticking your nose in your Aunty's knicker drawer!! Not one I would recommend for a first timer! Try Kendle Whiskey or anything that doesn't involve powerful mint or fruits! It takes some time to get used to them! The only fruit flavoured snuff I realy like is Gawith Apricot which is reasonably mild and quite pleasant. Don't try Irish High Toast if your driving - you won't stop sneezing for a week! Congrats on your bravery for giving Ozona a second try!! :)

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
Never!!, will I give up the pipe. Too many tobaccos to smoke , so little time. :) I have wanted to try nasal snuff though. Look what it did for Napoleon.

whiskeymick

Lurker
Dec 18, 2009
London UK
It's snowing blankets here in London today - work is shut - I'm gonna light a bowl of Irish Flake and head for Hampstead Heath with my wee doggy to slip and slide about for an hour or two. Can't imagine life without my pipes!! Today I'll leave the snuff at home!

Status
Not open for further replies.