PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toadshade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 9, 2014
Just curious, do people name their pipes? Just got my pipes in the mail and getting ready to smoke some Dunhill Flake in my Stanwell Brushed Black.
Toadshade

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's an interesting idea. I name cats by making long lists and matching up the animal with the

seemingly most appropriate name, though sometimes the cats prefer to answer to something else.

A cat I named Garland is much more responsive to Lefty, or Kitty-Kitty -- he likes the T sound.

With pipes, I mainly try to remember the brand and model name, or at least the shape. But I like

your Toadshade naming. I'm expecting a Stanwell Brushed Black Liverpool (from the PC sale) at

any minute, a day early. I'm on a roll with C&D burley forward blends, so that will probably be the

break-in. I'm also getting a Brushed Brown Pot, which has a somewhat conical rather than cylindrical

bowl. I like the wood-finish brims on those pipes. Which shape did you get?

toadshade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 9, 2014
Bent Apple. Real nice smoke. My first bowl in 30 years. Good to be back!!
The Smoking Toad

I have one named "Old Uncle Snort" that is a bamboo poker. The name was given it by the artist, Rowley of Growley pipes. I'm keeping the name because it fits the pipe well. I wish more artists would give their work names. When it comes to marketing anything, it's all about buying the "story" and a name helps with that story, IMO.

toadshade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 9, 2014
Since I'm returning to a new love I'll call her Lady Stanwell.
Toadshade

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I have only one pipe I've named, and it's not very nice. After I bought a pear wood pipe from the Ukrainian pipe maker Golden Gate, I started using the pipe for some strong flavored tobaccos I'd started trying. So it became pretty ghosted with strong fruit flavors, and lakeland flavors. But I got this name from reading another post somewhere some months ago, where a guy was calling one of his pipes the "slut pipe", because you could put anything in it and smoke it. It stuck in my mind and so I started calling the little GG pipe my slut pipe, as I was putting just about anything in it that I figured would ghost another pipe.

So funny thing, my stepdaughter came from CA for a visit a couple of weeks ago, and when talking about pipe smoking she wanted to try smoking a pipe. I told her to pick any pipe the she wanted to try. Yeah you guessed it, she picked the slut pipe. When I told her what I called it, she said, that sounds about right. (trust me she's not even close to being that, she 53 and married with 2 adult children) She smoked some Molto Dolce and finished the bowl and said she enjoyed it. We all had a good time puffin away on the porch.

So that's my pipe name story, and I'm sticking to it, but have no plans to name another pipe.
Here's a pic of her smoking the "slut pipe".... :clap:

img_0487-600x450.jpg

toadshade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 9, 2014
Thanks Agnosticpipe! That's quite a story. It turns that since I haven't smoked tobacco in so long I got a little sick at the hands of Lady Stanwell. Her new name is Typhoid Bent Apple Mary.
The

Upset Tummy Toad

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Toadshade, FYI, my wife is a huge Stanwell fan, and like a certain shape so much that after over 20 years, I decided to find another Stanwell of the same shape that she likes so much. I found one at Mkelaw- Pipes, a sponsor here, that was nicely refurbished, and another on ebay that had a cracked shank, that I fixed with a 410 shotgun shell base. She loves these pipes and smokes them more than anything.

I know that some tobaccos have more nicotine than others, and some make me feel quite unpleasant too, as I am quite nicotine sensitive and have been for years. So I usually stick to low nicotine tobaccos, unless they're something I really like, then I just smoke smaller amounts of them on a full stomach.

Have fun with your Stanwell, whatever you decide to call it, even if it too becomes a "slut pipe"! :roll:

toadshade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 9, 2014
Thanks Agnosticpipe. I feel ok now. I think my next bowl tomorrow will be Frog Morton Cellar. I'll look more into nicotine levels.
Toadshade

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife has given me a number of terrific pipes, the largest of which is a Joh's apple, so since my wife

lived in New York City for many years, I call the pipe The Big Apple, in her honor.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I usually just think, that one, or this one, occasionally by the name brand. One night I was running late for work and I said to SWMBO, "hey babe, can you set me out a flake of the jar labeled Luxury Navy Flake and the pipe you think looks like a nut sack" HAHAHA!! It worked, but I would never call it that myself because who wants to smoke a nut sack!!! :rofl:

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
I usually stick with the names the pipemaker gave, if not, the shape name is imaginative enough. "Blowfish" "Bulldog" "Bulldog with Silver" "Pickaxe" etc.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
You guys are way too creative. I only have a pet name for the pipe in hand. I call it (them): "This Pipe Here."

Status
Not open for further replies.