PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I've been experimenting for a while now with using heavy duty Mylar bags for the storage of bulk blends. The ones I'm using are 5 mil. metalized ziplock bags and from what I can tell the vapor transport through the material is as close to zero as as makes no difference. I use an impulse sealer on the top flap of the bags but a hot iron could be used as well. I currently have about fifteen pounds of 12 different blends sitting in a Rubbermaid tub and there is absolutely no smell of tobacco in the bin, at all. Not even well sealed tins can manage that feat.
The bags could deteriorate over time but as they are not being exposed to light or varying temps I expect them to stay sealed for a good long time, several years at a minimum, and possibly quite a lot longer. I'd say the minimum spec for a bag in this application would be a 5 mil thickness fully metalized Mylar product.
I decided to give the bags a shot because I haven't had the best of luck with Mason jars, breakage plus the occasional poor seal, and I think this is going to be a viable alternative to jars. It's certainly a lightproof and less breakable alternative. It might even turn out to be an improvement.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Darwin, the Box Pass moved to all Mylar after The Great Ennerdale Disaster several months ago. Basically, almost the entire box, dozens of blends, all neatly sealed in standard ziploc bags, was ghosted by a single baggie of the stuff.
Since we moved to Mylar bags, I've had nothing but positive feedback from Box Pass participants. Folks say that when they open the box, they don't smell anything. I've been using them myself, and the only possible fault lies in the ziploc itself. It's not 100% air tight. Sealing the bag solves the problem. Either way, I think that a ziploc Mylar bag is still better, vapor barrier-wise, than an opened tin.
Here are the bags that we've been using with the Box Pass
What bags are you using, Darwin?

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Here's where I got mine;
Mylar Pro
They come with oxygen absorbers for the prepper crowd but I have no need for 'em so I just pitch 'em.
Buzkirk they are cheaper than jars but that's not the reason I switched to them.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
All of the information I've been able to find on Mylar bags is from prepper sites and concerns food storage. There is general agreement that the limiting factor is the type of food itself rather than the bag. Bags kept in a benign environment are good for far longer, some say up to 25 years, than what is kept in them. In the case of tobacco we know that certain types of blends keep just fine, and in many cases improve significantly, for multi-decadal periods so their storage limitations substantially exceed that of conventional foodstuffs.
In my case the bags will be kept in an air-conditioned environment in an opaque Rubbermaid bin so I'm fairly confident that the bag material will not deteriorate significantly for at least ten years which is more than sufficient for my needs. I am using an impulse style sealer which makes a uniform 2.5mm seal which appears invulnerable to all but gross abuse. The sides and bottom of the Mylar Pro brand bags have an approximately 1/4" heavy duty seal which seems very robust indeed and highly unlikely to fail. The bag flap above the ziplock seal is about an inch and a half wide and could, if desired, be hot ironed into a one inch seal that would rival the best tin or canning jar seal. If one were so inclined an impulse sealer could be used to make a double or triple seal that would be proof against anything except a concerted attack with sharp objects.
I think these bags are going to meet the case very nicely.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Great idea! I have been using Vapor Proof Bags from Whole Leaf. I have quite a bit of tobacco sealed in them for over 3 years now. I think I'll try the Mylar bags and compare.
My only concern with using bags instead of glass for long term storage is the possibility of the tobacco picking up a "plastic taste". I have heard people complain that after opening up a 10 year old (or longer) pouch of tobacco that it smells/tastes like plastic. Maybe these are more inert than the cheaper plastics used in pouch tobaccos. Thanks for the link!

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
All of the pouches I've come across are made of much thinner material than the bags I'm using plus they do not have the vacuum applied aluminum coating that makes them opaque and increases the strength of the vapor barrier. I have inserted the bags the bulk blends came in into the metalized Mylar bags so it's conceivable that some plastic taste could eventually be transferred to the tobacco but I consider it unlikely to be much of a problem. Actually putting the tobacco alone into the Mylar bag might be slightly preferable since it would be bearing on the metalized surface instead of the plastic itself. I really couldn't say whether or not the plastic used in the bags I have is of a higher quality than that used in tobacco pouches but I am sure that the metalized surface makes a big difference in the performance we seek for our peculiar needs.
Frequent handling and resealing of these bags is probably not going to do their structural integrity any good but then frequent handling of any storage system is going to make how well it seals pretty much beside the point. Currently I have a pouch of Condor in a Mylar bag that is only ziplocked. The pouch itself reeks of that good ol' Lakeland essence but the smell is undetectable when inside the Mylar and that's without it being heat-sealed.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Well I just ordered a boatload from Mylar Pro. I hope to use these for tinned tobacco. When I buy tins I put them into vapor proof bags and seal them or I will open the tin and put the tobacco into a mason jar. I have a plastic tub with some tins in it that are not in the bags. When I open the lid (to the plastic tub) I can smell tobacco. I'm thinking these mylar bags might just be the ticket. I like the idea they come in various sizes. The vapor proof bags I am currently using are 1 gallon and 5 gallon and need to be sealed with an impulse sealer.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
jitterbug,
Interesting idea about storing tins in the mylar bags. Is the primary reason out of concern that the tins might lose their seal or do you just not like smelling the tobacco when you open the plastic tub you currently store them in? Sometimes when I open the lid from my container after it has been a while the tobacco smell is rather strong...to the point where I wonder whether I've got a broken seal'd tin somewhere in the mix.
Are you thinking of doing 1x tin per bag? What size bag do you have in mind?

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Strictly speaking an impulse sealer is not needed but I like using one because it makes a nice uniform straight seal. Also if you put the seal near the top of the bag flap then when you cut it off to pull tobacco out you can make another seal no sweat. Might be able to do three iterations that way. The ziplock closures on these bags are very robust so they are going to be a big improvement over opened tins even if not heat sealed. If they made a bag with the same zip seal but doubled or tripled then heat sealing might be entirely superfluous.

Reactions: tomnernas2ndson

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I've been storing open tins in Mylar bags for almost a year now.
It works great.
As Darwin noted, though, frequent open and closing is going to impact the viability of the zip seal. I've yet to destroy any of the Mylar ESD bags that I use.
Plastic taste: Not an issue with Mylar and Mylar/polyester laminates. It's a problem with PVC and polyethylene, which leach plasticizers. You really should not store tobacco in or near those plastics.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
It appears the mylar bags are maybe as good as jars for long-term storage, but more than adequate for shipping.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Anyone use a vacuum sealer like a Food Saver? Would the limited amount of oxygen left in the vacuum seal stop the aging process of the tobacco? I have lots of beans, coffee beans, rice, dried fruit, powdered mixes & spices in vacuum sealed bags and they keep & store well.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
You do want to have oxygen in the bag so squishing it gently, pressing the zip seal and then heat-sealing should be ideal for the aging process, no vaccum needed. Also you would, for the obvious reason, not use oxygen absorbers in the bag. Also I've read that Foodsavers don't get hot enough for a really good seal on thick Mylar.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Testing out some as well for some sampler kits
pX7IYXJl.png

wb76RZpl.png

Seem to work pretty well.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
It is my understanding that the FoodSaver bags are not as good a barrier as the Mylar and Mylar laminate bags. The FoodSaver sealer, as Darwin has noted, does not get hot enough to seal the Mylar bags. As for O2 absorbers, they might be a good idea, at the right point in aging. They would quickly form an anaerobic atmosphere inside the bag, just what you want to jump-start the anaerobic fermentation process.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
"Interesting idea about storing tins in the mylar bags. Is the primary reason out of concern that the tins might lose their seal or do you just not like smelling the tobacco when you open the plastic tub you currently store them in?"
When I open up a plastic box where I am storing my tins and I smell tobacco I know that the tins are not sealed. I like to put them in a vapor proof bag and seal them. This does two things, it seals the tins so the tobacco does not dry out and it prevents atmospheric conditions from rusting my tins ( for 10 plus year storage).

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
jitterbug,
Does the quart size mylar bag fit all the different tin shapes (i.e. square, round, rectangular) or do you use different sizes dependent on the tin you want to store? I might consider getting some mylar bags for the squares and rectangle tins that I have put away and don't plan on opening for 10+ years - just for the peace of mind. What do you recommend size-wise?

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"It is my understanding that the FoodSaver bags are not as good a barrier as the Mylar and Mylar laminate bags. The FoodSaver sealer, as Darwin has noted, does not get hot enough to seal the Mylar bags."
Correct on the sealer not getting hot enough to seal Mylar. My food storage has been in Food Saver bags. But I did seal up my dad's Navy Pea Coat from WWII in Mylar to keep the moths from damaging it, but I sealed the mylar with a hot iron. I have sealed things in several industrial size Mylar bags with an iron.

Status
Not open for further replies.