PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
A few days ago I posted a couple of pipes I got at an antique mall, but my wife reminded me that she got a pipe while we were there too. Ok, I'll admit I wasn't a huge fan of the pipe she wanted and paid $5 for, but I figure I'm lucky to have a wife that shares pipe smoking with me, so I usually let her buy what she wants. She admitted she got this pipe mostly for it's cuteness factor and not so much to smoke. This is a weird little pipe, measures just under 4 inches, and is stamped "Marvel, Molded Briar". It looked to be some sort of kids toy at first, but as I was cleaning it up a little, I saw it had clearly been used to smoke tobacco. The stem is some kind of plastic, (bakelite?) and has a metal tenon that had a little stinger in it, which I removed. The "Molded Briar" stamping was puzzling, as I've never heard of it before. Looking in the shank you can see an area where it's not stained, and to me it looks like MDF. I don't think this is Brylon, as it's supposed to be more like plastic, and this doesn't come off like plastic, but really like some kind of finely made briar MDF!
Anyone here ever come across this, or have any idea what it is?

My wife has been searching online and can find nothing about Marvel pipes, or molded briar.
img_00021-600x399.jpg

img_00033-600x424.jpg

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Yeah I might hang it on a Christmas tree but I wouldn't smoke that critter on a bet.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Manufacturers have been experimenting with alternate pipe making materials for many years. I have a 1930s Douglas pipe that is made from pressed and formed briar and it smokes very nicely. I'd put some Molto Dolce in there and give it a try....carefully though.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Regardless of the dubious material, I'd give that little sucker a try. It shouldn't take long to figure out if she smokes well or not. I would however keep a lookout for any chemical odors or peeling of the finish.
Cute little pipe, Congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies.