PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I just wanted to share my first restoration attempt. I can't really take credit for any of the information, that goes to all the folks on this forum who have done this numerous times.

A special thank you to Pruss (Pat)for being patient with all my inane and no doubt, foolish questions that I badgered him with. He's probably left the country or changed his forum name.

Anyway, I managed to buy a pipe off of Ebay - A Canadian made Brigham Sportsman.

It was to my eyes, in pretty rough shape.

All these pictures are before.

Here is what I used/did
Soaked the stem in 2 tablespoons of bleach and 2 cups of warm water for 2 hours.

While I was waiting for that I reamed out the bowl. Once I was satisfied with my reaming efforts with a Senior Reamer, I did a retort.
I then went to work on the stem. There was a tiny tooth indentation on the underside of the stem that I filled with a small amount of KB weld and let cure.

I then began the sanding polishing process.

I first sanded the build up of KB weld with some 250gr sandpaper and then went to work with the Micromesh starting with 1500 grit.

The small indentation that I repaired with the KB weld disappeared as I sanded it and feathered out the edges.

I worked my way all the way up to 12000 grit and then used Obsidian oil to polish it.
Here are the results.

Finally, after cleaning everything up with q tips, rubbing alcohol and I polished the smooth upper part with Paragon wax and the rusticated bottom part with Halcyon wax. All I had was a soft cloth and just buffed it by hand.
I think it looks good.

Will smoke a bowl of G.L. Pease Odyssey tonight and let you know how she smokes.
Anyway that's all I got.

Chris in RD AB

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
For the carbon lava on the rim, use a tiny scraper.
Cut a piece from the side of a drywall / puttyknife blade like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Goldblatt-G24308-6-Inch-Flexible-Putty/dp/B007RLT8I0/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1437002751&sr=8-11&keywords=putty+knife
...and dress the curved edge with a stone or 800 grit paper until it is dead square, like this:
7pnop3u.jpg

IVG9luA.jpg

The combination of 90-degree edge, thick(ish) flex-free blade, and curved working edge allow you to cut away practically anything smoothly, without digging or chatter. With a bit of practice you can strip virtually any finish without even touching the color coat underneath. Works like magic.
Here's the technique: With rounded edge down, hold the fat end between your index finger and thumb at (about) a 45-degree angle to the surface you want to cut, and a 30-degree angle from the direction of travel. Start with light pressure and increase until whatever you are trying to remove starts to shave off / peel away, then keep going until it's gone.
Renew the 90-degree edge every few minutes with a couple swipes down a sheet of 800 W/D attached to a smooth surface. (Putty knife blades are quite hard and tough, and hold an edge well.)

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Georged,

Thank you for the information. That is awesome and I will do exactly that.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thank you all for the comments.

Mcitineer1,

Happy birthday!

You will be 62, two days ahead of me. :clap:

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
:clap:
Well done, Chris!
That sportsman cleaned up nicely and will be a hardworking burner for you, pal.
I'm glad you're happy with both the buying experience (eBay can be a fickle bastard), and your cleanup.
Please do let us know how it smokes.
-- Pat

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Just smoked my first bowl

G.L. Pease Odyssey
Smokes great and my first bowl of Lat!

Really enjoyed it.
I think this will be my dedicated Lat pipe.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
You brought that Brigham back to life, man. Well done.
But, before I'd lay a piece of steel to the top of that rim, grab a mess of paper towels and a hot cup of coffee. Soak the towels in coffee, apply on the inflicted areas and just see what you can dislodge.
Good luck,
Fnord

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Coffee huh? That's a new one on me. I tend to use good old spit or a sharp flat bladed knife if the spit isn't working. Fine resto though. I like the shape of that bowl. Very nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.