Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
The title says it all...I had a Humicare pouch in a jar with two big chunks of twist. I could have cut out the parts where the mold was I guess...But I pitched the lid and the whole batch of twist, and I'll sterilize the jar and ring. Time to order more Cotton Bowl, and jar it WITHOUT any humidity treatments.

Mar 1, 2014
That's one reason I've been using alcohol (whisky/vodka) to moisten tobacco, hopefully it keeps the jar sterile.
I don't know if it works as intended but I haven't "seen" any problems yet.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, the alcohol evaporates, as does the water that's in it, though the latter at a much slower rate. Any overly moist tobacco or food is subject to mold under the right conditions, whether the moistener is alcohol, water or sticky syrup. (Temp, time, oxy level).

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
I had the same problem with jars of Brazilian Arapiraca rope tobaccos, also humidified with ceramic disks. I carefully pared away the mold, sterilized the jars & lids with alcohol, then rinsed with distilled water, & microwaved the jars for 30 seconds. Then the ropes were microwaved in the jars for 15 seconds & immediately resealed with the sterilized lids. The vacuum sealing has prevented recurrence of the mold.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I had assumed twists and ropes were treated like other kinds of pipe tobacco--sealed in a jar without extra humidification.
Are they stored like cigars?

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I'm referring to these hand formed mostly unflavored twists. I've had one or two from all these links, and the unflavored ones are very dry...which was my reason for adding the Humicare pouch to the jar.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/twist-tobacco-in-a-pipe

Mar 1, 2014
jpmcwjr:

Yes, the alcohol evaporates, as does the water that's in it, though the latter at a much slower rate. Any overly moist tobacco or food is subject to mold under the right conditions, whether the moistener is alcohol, water or sticky syrup. (Temp, time, oxy level).
Alcohol evaporates in the air, but unless you let it sit the open for a few hours before jarring then it's still in the jar.

I don't know what level of saturation in the air actually does any good as far as fighting bacteria, or whether the air reaches saturation fast enough to stop a few splashes of alcohol from fully evaporating, so that's where I could just be wasting my time, but at least I know it's clean when applied and I'm getting a little more flavor in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.