My Trip To Munich--Pfeifen Huber and Pfeifen Diehl (Picture Heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Hey everyone,
Had the opportunity to go to Munich last week and the War Dept. gave me some "pipe time" (as she calls it) to explore a few of the B&Ms in the city.
My first visit was to Pfeifen Huber (http://www.pfeifen-huber.de/). This place has been around for over 150 years and its basically an institution in Munich. In addition to a number of big tobacco company offerings (such as Peterson and Davidoff) they also have a huge selection of their house blends. You can go on their website, click the "Tabak" header, then click "Huber Tabakmischungen" to see what they offer (all in German, mind you, but Google Translate is a helpful thing).
Here are a few pictures of the place--it was busy when I was there so I didn't want disrupt any patrons by taking photos of the interior.
Exterior
img_1914-600x450.jpg

Love the door handle!
img_19223-450x600.jpg

And the carpet!
img_1923-600x450.jpg

Here's what I picked up--all in all a very dangerous place to be when my TAD was kicking in!
img_1937-600x450.jpg

It was a wonderful place. The people working there could not have been nicer and were happy to give out small samples of their other blends (which I gladly accepted). I live in Europe and they easily ship here but you might want to inquire about North America (although I would be surprised if they didn't). Definitely a "must see" if you are fortunate to visit Munich.
The other pipe shop I visited was Pfeifen Diehl (http://www.diehlwelt.com/Genusswelt:::4.html). Scroll down on the left hand side and click on "Pfeiffentabak" to see the wide variety of blends they carry. Overall, Diehl carries more blends (both in-house and big company) than Pfeifen Huber. In fact, here is a link to a pdf that gives you all of the information about their in-house tobaccos (http://www.diehlwelt.com/Tabakbroschuere_2013.pdf). It's in German but I found it easy to get a sense of what tobaccos each blend consisted of--and I also liked how it describes the various cuts and styles of tobacco. Like Pfeifen Huber I did all I could to restrain myself from not buying everything I saw. I believe they will also ship to North America.
Pfeifen Huber is near the center of the city--about two blocks off the Marienplatz on a major road. Therefore it was relatively easy to find. Pfeifen Diehl, not so much. Like Pfeifen Huber it was about two blocks off Marienplatz, but it is tucked away a bit. Therefore, if you'll permit me, here is a visual route to get there.
Start here--at the Marienplatz in front of the Neue Rathaus
img_1921-450x600.jpg

Walk across the Marienplatz to the left of the Neue Rathaus--the road that goes by the Neue Rathaus is called Weinstrasse
img_1919-450x600.jpg

Walk down the Weinstrasse, passing the Neue Rathaus which is now on your right. You will also pass a large park on your right as well (behind the Neue Rathaus) Keep walking until you get to the "Mango" store on the left hand side of the street
img_1916-450x600.jpg

Once you get to the Mango store, turn left. This road is called Maffeistrasse. Here's the view when you make the left:
img_1917-450x600.jpg

Here is where it gets a little tricky--Walk down Maffeistrasse until you see this sign on the right hand side--it's over a open-air corridor. Pfeifen Diehl is down this corridor on the left-hand side (you should see a shop with a yellow awning on the left--it's next to that shop)
img_1918-600x450.jpg

And here it is!
img_1910-600x450.jpg

Since I was the only person in the shop at that time the proprietors allowed me to take some photos. It's a lovely shop with a huge tobacco selection.
The shelf on the right holds mainly the big name tobaccos such as Dunhill, Peterson, and MacBaren. The top half of the shelf on the left holds a number of their in-house blends.
img_1911-600x450.jpg

The third shelf holds the remainder of the tins of every in-house blend they make (this is great if you're picking up tobacco to bring back on a plane). Also had a huge selection of Rattray's blends. You can also smell all of their in-house blends in the jars in the foreground.
img_1912-600x450.jpg

And here are some of their pipes!
img_1913-600x450.jpg

Finally, here is what I picked up. Not as much as I wanted, mind you, but I was able to score their last tin of Germain's Brown Flake! Really looking forward to firing up their Latakia Flake. I couldn't stop smelling it in the store--it had a very sweet fragrance--not overwhelming in the slightest.
img_19361-600x450.jpg

All in all it was a great trip. Didn't pick up any pipes during my time there--that would have taken even more time and the War Dept. is understanding, but not THAT understanding. She still thinks I bought way too much tobacco, but I try to remind her that the phrase "too much tobacco" is an oxymoron.
I hope you found the info helpful. If you ever get a chance to go to Munich please do so! It's a lovely city and now you've got two great B&Ms to visit that have tons of custom blends!

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Oh, and special thanks to Harris. In a previous post he mentioned his love of JA Luxury Flake--bought two tins of the stuff from Pfeifen Huber on his recommendation alone!!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
WOW...that looks like a fantastic trip and a couple of very nice pipe shops. Thanks for the great pics. :puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is fabulous, I love the walking tour. A member of another forum recently toured Germany and most of the shops he visited didn't permit him to take pictures inside.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Very, very cool. Thanks for taking the time to document your trip for us and for sharing it here.
-- Pat

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
Yes, thanks for sharing...love the photos and story. Especially curious about the Honeydew Flake. A lot of the old timey British tobacco company had "honeydew" flakes, something about just sounds right up my alley. Enjoy!!!

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Thank you all for your kind words. My wife caught up with me when I was taking the pictures on how to get to Pfeifen Diehl. Here's how the conversation went:
War Dept.; What are you doing?

Me: Taking pictures on how to get to the pipe shop.

WD:: Why?

Me: So people know how to get there.

WD: Who? The guys on the pipe forum?

Me: Yes.

WD: Are they going to Munich?

Me: Umm...maybe...sometime..they might

WD: But probably not.

Me: You never know...perhaps this will inspire them!

WD: OK, can't they just use Google Maps?

Me: I suppose so...

WD; So why the hell are you taking photos?

Me: To help them find the shop.

WD: But they've got Google Maps...

Me: Maybe some of them are technologically challenged and the photos will act as guide to find the promised land of quality tobacco.

WD: You're an idiot. And how much did you spend at that shop, anyway?
End of conversation.
See brothers (and sisters)--I do this for you!
Especially curious about the Honeydew Flake. A lot of the old timey British tobacco company had "honeydew" flakes, something about just sounds right up my alley. Enjoy!!!
Here is the description from Pfeifen Huber--most likely will age it a bit before popping the tin.
"Taste: It is my very personal Virginia specialty . Three coordinated Virginia tobaccos are consuming tip pressed , flavored with a subtle honey classy / orange flavor and cut into the whole flake boards . What arises is an exclusive Flake with pronounced gentle aroma ."
Looking forward to this stuff in about 6 months or so!

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Wow...what a great trip and the tobaccos...perfection!

Thanks for the pictures and the walking tour.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Isn't it beautiful there? Don't you wish pictures could say more "Than a thousand words"?

You sorta have to been there & bought the t-shirt.

Glad you had a wonderful time.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Looks like a great time! :puffy:
It's been about 25 years since I was in Munich and it was Oktoberfest so we didn't make it to any pipe shops. :wink:

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Just loved the pictures and the walking tour to Pfeifen Diehl.
BTW, don't try that argument with her when she comes home with another three pairs of shoes.

pipesdownunder

Might Stick Around
Nov 3, 2013
I bought my very first pipe at Pfeifen Huber. I was on a cycling holiday in Germany with my family and wandered in to buy some cigars and BAM, PAD + TAD got me, unbeknown to myself.

Once I was noticed the service was quite good and informative. I've still got the Brebbia basket pipe, I actually really love smoking it still.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
I want to go to pipefish's house and see ALL the whole Kodachrome slide show for that awesome trip! Now that's what we need more of on the Travel Channel!
Plugugly

Status
Not open for further replies.