PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
McClelland Tudor Castle Arcade:
Arcade is a delicate flake, that needs to be dried and smoked slow to discover every nuance this flake has to offer. Katerini is my favorite oriental condiment. This flake showcases this leaf in all its glory. Sweet bready/earthy virginias are enhanced with perique, offering dark fruit: dates, raisins, and prunes. The Gentle spice of katerini weaves in and out of the dark fruit laced virginias. The Syrian pops it's head out once in a while with the wine note the Syrian is so famous for. Overall it's a stellar flake that changes from pipe to pipe. Today I like it in a briar, but tomorrow I'm getting something different from a clay and so on. This one is a Mike and Mary Masterpiece. If you stocked up on Arcade before the demise of McClelland, then count yourself as being in a league of your own.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My thoughts on another dead one from a few years back.
Yenidje Highlander
It had come to my attention as of late, that in my exploration of different blends over the past few decades, that I had not tried an oriental forward blend. I made a few inquiries, and Yenidge Highlander came highly recomended. The blend itself is composed of yenidje orientals, syrian and cyprian latakia, with red virginia and maryland to balance it out. It sounded similar to balkan blends that I enjoy, so I chose the appropriate pipe for the task. The tin note presented a spicy sweetness not unlike the very lightest of cinnamon with fruit undertones. The latakia smokiness is detectable, but very far in the background. Upon lighting, I am greeted with the familiar sweetness of virginias and the lat campfire on the back of my tongue, but on the retrohale is when the blend really revealed itself to me. There is a sweet exotic spicyness that I instantly fell in love with much like the first time I made the acquaintance of Lady Latakia. Would highly recommend this one to an english fan, but anyone seeking something different should give it a go. Smoked in a Weaver crossgrain blowfish with no perceivable tongue bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.