PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
My first review. Please be kind!
My rusty High School Latin tells me that 'Molto Dolce' means 'very sweet' or 'exceptionally calm' - and this is an apt description of this fine tobacco.
I received a 1.5 oz tin of Sutliff Private Stock Molto Dolce from Altadis as part of their free sample program. My thanks to them. Opening the tin unleashed a heavenly smell that I can only describe as 'German Chocolate Cake' - caramel, vanilla, and coconut, with a little whiff of whiskey. I can give the tin note four stars.
MD is ribbon cut, in very long, narrow ribbons. It looks wet, and feels slightly wet. (More on this later.) Flakes of cavendish are mixed in.
I smoked the first bowl right out of the can in a freshly cleaned 1964 Brewster straight apple. I did not employ any special packing technique, just stuffed it in 'til it "felt right". The draw gave me a taste of that same great aroma. A false light made the tobacco spring up like trod grass. Tamped it down and lit 'er up.
Great clouds of milky white smoke billowed, and continued thru the entire bowl. Molto Dolce makes more smoke than a brushfire, and people stood on tip-toes to sniff it. Four co-workers, half of them non-smokers, confirmed that the room note is a winner. Four stars.
And let me just say, Molto Dolce tastes good. It tastes like cake, like caramel, like vanilla. About halfway thru the bowl, I caught a taste of walnuts, or maybe pecans, from the burley. It burned down to a dark ash with a few blackened dottles - I rarely get to finish a bowl at work. There was zero gurgle and no tongue bite. I did get a little wetness thru the pipe toward the bottom, tasted like sugar water. After emptying the pipe, there was some moisture around the draw hole.
This is without a doubt the best-tasting tobacco in my (admittedly limited) experience. How about a second bowl?
This time, I left MD out on a paper towel under a desk lamp, and it was hard to work with that scent right under my nose! After three hours, there were yellow spots on the paper where it soaked up the casing. This tobacco is wet, but doesn't stain the fingers or clump. The aroma will remain on the hands until washed off.
The second bowl was smoked in a nearly new, clean Missouri Meerschaum Diplomat corncob. There was a difference in the taste, not better or worse, just subtly different. This smoke was much dryer, which I attribute to drying as well as the different smoking characteristics of the cob. Still cool, still clouds of tasty smoke, still no burn. I did draw on this bowl a little harder, but no ugliness reared it's head.
Overall, Molto Dolce is a superior smoke. Everything about it is good, and nothing disappoints. I give it the highest possible score, the best possible recommendation, and I will definitely be laying in a supply. A full four stars, no reservations.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I agree with you completely..I will add that I detected a hint of a cinnamon after taste..I like cinnamon so no complaints.

jameral

Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
Great review! I'm gonna pick up a few tins in June when P&C is offering buy 2 get 1 free on MD. Can't wait!

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I also got a free tin of this. It satisfies the sweet tooth for sure.
I had some 1Q that was left in my pouch, not enough for a bowl. So I mixed some MD with it and it was a great smoke! Give that a try and see if you like it. :puffy:

jvandy77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Thanks for the review! I was really anticipating on trying this one. Will definitely have to now!
-Jim

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Thanks to all for your kind words. I appreciate it!
rcstan - I don't normally notice Vitamin N in the pipe, since I smoke cigarettes too. Maybe in a few weeks when I'm off the sticks I can pick up the difference.
buster - I really like to mix leftovers into new combinations. Good stuff!
Forgot to mention: on both bowls, I had a large cup of black coffee to wash it down. Later, I could taste the MD in the coffee cup. Maybe that says more about my sloppy smoking than about the tobacco.
Thanks again, guys. It's a good day.

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
I agree whole heartedly. I too got a sample of MD. It was wonderful and everyone who was near me commented on the room note. Im a bee keeper and could taste honey so strong that its now a favorite at my house. Well writen review too.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
I didn't care for this blend, too sweet and fake tasting to me, I gave it away to another forum member to try.

ruffinogold

Lurker
Jul 4, 2012
A fine review man ! I liked Molto Dolce but it hasnt been my favorite from the Sutliff Line . The St. George blend is a very nice aro as well as South Seas . Sutliffs best blends are their match blends ... they are fantastic ! The CD blend [ Country Doctor ] is better than the original , Imho .

winterland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2011
Minneapolis
Sutliff Molto Dolce in a MM straight cob. First time trying this tobacco. Had to let the tin air out for a week. It smelled so strong and was wet. I am liking it so far.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I find that this stuff smells incredible and tastes good, but smokes like a cheap drugstore aromatic. I still have a little that someone sent me as a sample, perhaps I will let it dry out for a good long while and try it a gain. I really do like the smell of the casing.

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Awesome review. I got my tin as a free sample from Altadis. I enjoyed it a great deal but, like most aromatics, I found the effects fleeting. Still very much worth it for a short, pleasant smoke.

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Arrrise, Zombie thread!! :lol:
Glad to see this still appreciated. To update, I haven't had a bad smoke out of MD yet. It's not an everyday smoke, but good as a treat. I find it does help to dry it out.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I enjoyed your review, especially since I just bought some myself - now I can't wait to open it. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.