PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I've now smoked at least 1 tin of all of the Frog Morton blends. This is my opinion, but as I get older I have noticed my opinion is most probably fact. They were all good, but None of them were strong enough in the nic category for my taste.
1. Frog Morton on the Bayou

2. Frog Morton's Cellar (almost a tie with Bayou)

3. Frog Morton on the Town

4. Frog Morton

5. Frog Morton across the Pond

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
They were all good, but None of them were strong enough in the nic category for my taste.

I agree. I find that I love the flavors of the FM's, they just seem too light. My rankings would be:

1. FMOTT

2. FMC

3. FMOTB

4. FMATP

5. FM

I too, find that as I get older my opinions are usually fact. LOL! :)

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
1. Frog Morton's Cellar

2. Frog Morton's on the Bayou (almost a tie with Cellar)

3. Frog Morton on the Town

4. Frog Morton

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The only Frog I have, which I haven't opened in a year or so, is the original, which doesn't rate very well here.

Guess I'll pop the tin some day and make my own call. It's my understanding that most blends with Lat don't

improve a lot with age, so I'm not betting on that. Right now I'm happily smoking other things, notably four

burley blends that go very nicely.

buffalopat

Lurker
Jul 15, 2014
Just picked up a tin of Bayou. Haven't tried any of them yet, but I've only been smoking pipes for about a month. Letting it rest a little before I try it. Still have a few others in the queue ahead of it.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
My ratings are as follows:

5. Frog Morton on the Bayou
I smoked a tin, and felt it lacking in both taste, and strength. I might get around to smoking the other four if I happen upon them somewhere just to tick the box off for the series, but I'm not going out of my way to get them.

groovesmith75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 29, 2014
1. Frog Morton's Cellar

2. Frog Morton

3. Frog Morton's on the Bayou

4. Frog Morton on the Town

cornleader

Might Stick Around
Mar 8, 2015
I didn't want to start a new thread when this is exactly what I was looking for.....
I don't have the experience some of you do when it comes to pipes, but I have now tried 2 from the froggy series, cellar and pond.
Cellar was my first experience with latikia. Tin aroma was a shock! after a few bowls I was hooked. No I crave it.

I tried pond today for the first time. When I smelled the tin, I though it was full of old rancid ketchup! It tasted nothing like the tin aroma when smoked. A bit more spicy/zesty then the cellar. Taste changed as I got to the bottom of the bowl.
My last tin of ATP.

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
1. Frog Morton's Cellar

2. Frog Morton on the Town

3. Frog Morton's on the Bayou

4. Frog Morton

it was hard to try to put them in an order but I would say this is my favorite order but I do love them all

cornleader

Might Stick Around
Mar 8, 2015
I've tried 2 and based on these results, I bought the best and the worst. Not that ATP is horrible by any means. Cellar and pond a very similar.I just like the cellar... so far!

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Mso489,

I would disagree that most lat blends don't improve with age. They don't have the legs of a Va or Va-Per, but in my experience most of them will improve for at least five years and usually more. I've smoked some of GLP's lat-heavy blends with more than a decade of aging and they were fantastic. The trick is that after that first five years or so the Latakia will soften a bit and, as even more time passes, become less noticeable (obviously, the more Latakia in a blend the longer it will take for this trend to become noticeable). Some lat blends will go over the hill at some point ( still smokeable but nothing like it originally was), but I've never seen that happen to a blend without at least 10 years under its belt.

I can say from personal experience that the Frogs seen to change less over time than most lat blends I've smoked. I've had both FM and FMOTT that were 12 years old and they were still great (in fact, they really weren't all that different from a fresh tin, except perhaps that the VAs were a bit more noticeable).

danimal

Lurker
May 17, 2015
i really enjoy my FMOTB and Cellar. as mention before they are similar. FMATP didn't do much for me. I have yet to try the others I am looking forward to it.

indyjg

Lurker
May 10, 2013
I have all 5 blends in the cellar, but I've only smoked three of them so far. I liked all three, but Cellar was my favorite and one I've reordered, then Bayou, then the original Frog Morton.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm approaching the Froggies all backwards. Many people graduate from aromatics to Froggies and on to mild English, Balkan, burley non-aros and beyond. However, I have two tins, a small one of Froggy original, and a big tin of Froggy Cellar, both unopened, for the future. Unlike some, I enjoy full strength blends but also like a milder smoke every other bowl or two, so I am anticipating good experiences. This thread has illustrated that people have different liking for the different Froggys, so I'll be intrigued to see how they go, eventually. The big tin of Froggy was sent to me by a Forums member, for which I thank him. For a moderate smoker, my moderate cellar should last me for some years. Lots of goodies in the wings.

cornleader

Might Stick Around
Mar 8, 2015
Just had original. The tin smelled similar to Cellar but a bit more ketchup. Smoked the same as Cellar and tasted good through the whole smoke. I found Pond to change as smoked and not for the better. Still not bad, just like the others better.
So Far

1 Cellar

2 Original

3 Pond

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I generally liked them all, but found none of them to be an improvement on the original, or different enough to be worth stocking, so i just get the original. All of them were worth smoking however.
Isaac

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
i haven't yet smoked the frogs. looking forward to it though. it appears to have good availability and a recommended following.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
The first English I had was Frog Mortan on the Bayou, I loved the stuff. I jarred it, visited it often. Started smoking other English tobaccos, came back to FMOTB, No flavor. NOTHING! All I got was card board spiced with tape. Was never going to try another McClelland, until. BAM! I bought some Wilderness, Awesome blend, but going back to Frog Town? Not anytime soon. Cool tin art though.

Status
Not open for further replies.