PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Hey All! I was taking a picture of my La-Z Boy for another thread, and figured since I had the camera out I'd snap a pic of most of my collection. I still have another 12 or so pipes in various locations in my house, including a whack of eBay estates on my workbench to be cleaned, but this is the first time I've taken a pic of most of the collection. I'd lie and say I'm through with PAD, but who's kidding who really... :wink:
Most of the fam...
collection_zpsef2fec49.jpg

Cross posted from the Brigham thread, here they are again. They're in the back of the first pic, but they're attention starved and insisted on their own picture.
brighams_zps24a7315c.jpg

Matt

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Nice collection - you've got a lot of keepers there - nice racks too. Thanks for sharing. :puffy:

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
hmmmm...pics didnt show for me.
UPDATE: disregard, operator error.
UPDATE, UPDATE: love the racks. i need to get more racks as most of my pipes are just strewn about. I keep my favorites in a rack.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Thanks Guys! I have another 8 space circular rack that I keep on my bench for estates, but as I mentioned in another thread, I'm on a quest for a good cabinet now.
By the way, the rack on the middle right I snagged at a Value Village store here in Ottawa for $3. They had it in the kitchenware section. (??) To quote myself when I saw it..."Yoink!"

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Quite a few of these are antique store finds. The Custombilt in the front row, and the Shamrock on the left rack, were $7 bucks each. Just needed to be cleaned, and they were in decent shape to start. The two Kaywoodies beside the Shamrock I 'think' were about $10 each. I can't remember exactly, but I know they weren't more than 10.
I admitted to the one antique store I visit that it would be smarter to sell these online once I clean them up, but I pretty much buy these to keep them myself.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Flyfishn- If I ever decide to part with the Custombilt I'll let you know, but the mere thought of it is making me sad right now...
Bentmike- Yes Sir! Two systems, and an estate system waiting on the bench to be cleaned. I may do before/after pics of that one when I get around to it. The stem is so oxidized I know it's going to take longer than usual, and more effort, so I'm working on others to keep honing my skills before I hit that one up.

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
A bit man? I see a few pipe bits on those stems. Great collection though and I suppose the bits help preserve the value in the long run.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Yeah, I only tried the bits on a few pipes over the last year or so but I really got hooked on the feel. Turned me into a clencher for the most part. I like them, but I know they're not everyone's cup of tea. I try to order a few with each PAD order.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Ooh. Good question. I don't know if I could choose one, but I do tend to gravitate towards the Brigham one dot in the top left corner of the second pic and the Big Ben Presidential sitting in his own stand in the first picture. Being the President and all, he earns that spot. Both smoke great, and feel great to hold and clench. The Pres just got cleaned, so no bit.
I love my Peterson systems as well. I'd be happy if I just had the two, and I even dig the p-lip stem...

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
@ghost - I think the reason the rack you snagged in kitchen wares was there because it is a spoon rest and not actually a pipe rest. But, none the less, great wa to re-purpose something and for a great price.
Nice collection. I think we have similar taste in pipes. I tend to gravistae towards the rougher finishes. I like the textured feel in my hand.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I thought it might be a spoon rest, but it works perfectly! I check those sections all the time now, but haven't found another like it. The grooves on the bottom are the ideal shape, even if it is a spoon rack I'd argue it was meant for greater things. :)
I do like "rougher finishes" for sure, for the same reason as you, but I'm also finding my tastes are evolving. I never had a lot of straight pipes before the last while, now I have several. I also have warmed to different shapes, and I'm looking at getting into pokers which I never cared for before. It's all bad for PAD...

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Hmmm... I think you have a deep seated PAD that will never be cured. Nice herd. I also suffer dearly with PAD that is in a slight remission right now. Slight. There is hardly abetter sight than a bunch of well cared for appreciated briars.

Status
Not open for further replies.