PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
This is it. I am getting close to the end of my 1792 Flake. I loaded up my large Canadian and I am on the porch until I finish it or turn green - which ever comes first. I really like it; but it is strong!
This was gifted to me through the free pipe program so I have no idea how old it is. It came crumbly and had white plume forming on it. It was dark grey to black in color. What does this look like when it is fresh?
I get the grassy and dark fruity virginia but I don't find the tonkin bean overwhelming as some of the reviews suggest. Maybe it faded over time? I will have to order some more to replace my last little bit.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I found it to be just kind of a strong blend in my meer and couldn't really taste the tonquin bean, when I tried it in a tall narrow pipe, suddenly I could taste the tonquin flavor, it's a very bitter flavor, kind of like grapefruit almost, or like a strong IPA beer. I really like it though.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
It was a little overwhelming in the big Canadian... I probably should have used my zulu.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I smoked 1792 exclusively for several years. I have noticed that if is kept in an open tin it will dry out and the tonquin will fade. I also have some Cob Plug, which is 1792 in plug form. This is another love it or hate it blend and I happen to be quite fond of it.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
That and the lost Bracken Flake were two of my favorites for a while... I think Ennerdale too. It was 1792 that first taught me all about ghost busting and un exorcizable poltergeists!

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
I have about an ounce of braken flake as well. I think I have only tried it once. Was it better received than 1792?

Status
Not open for further replies.