PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
kapp1-600x446.jpg

So I thought I'd do a brief write up on my new Peterson Kapp Royal.
There's both good and bad. First the bad:
1) The interior bowl had stain inside (grrr) - but at least there was no stain in the shank. This was a major disappointment. It says to me that Peterson hasn't properly addressed this problem.
2) The drill hole was lower than I'd like.
After much hemming and hawing, I decided to sand the bowl's interior and keep it. The pipe was $70 cheaper than another dealer. Plus I don't have a B&M, so my only choice is online. And all in all, I felt I could live with the issues.
Now the good:
1) The pipe is very lightweight. As well, the remaining stain didn't affect the smoke much or at all. This may have to do with the fact that it is a light stain (and .
2) The pipe smoke absolutely beautifully. And this is not just wishful thinking on my part. The pipe needed not a single relight and smoked to ash on the first smoke. I was more than a little surprised by this.
Some here may think that because I like Petes (and am willing to forgive their mistakes) that I am kidding myself on the pipe's smokability; but the fact is, it was an exceptional smoke. Probably the best of all my Petes.
All in all, I continue to understand why some refuse to buy a Peterson, but I for one will continue to consider them.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks for the review of the pipe six and also congrats on the pipe she is a beaut. Can't believe you got a one light smoke on your first smoke lucky.

~Ron

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Nice pipe, Six! My collection of Petes is up to a dozen now, all are good smokers, some are exceptional smokers! So far, the only one I've had any issue with is my Dracula "03". It had some stain in the bowl, a little annoying, but not a huge deal IMO. Like I said, all of mine are, at the very least, good smokers. I admit, I have pipes that out smoke some of them, but not all of them. As long as I can afford them, I'll keep buying Petersons, they make me happy!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
six, glad to hear you love how it smokes, that is the biggest thing. It is a shame that Peterson does not listen to it's customers and refuses to inspect their pipes before leaving the factory. They make some gorgeous looking pipes and yours is a perfect example of that fact.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
That is a nice Peterson, Six!!!! I have been contemplating getting another Kapp Royal.
I have an 03. It's draft hole was a bit too high but some pipe mud fixed it and it smokes wonderfully.
Glad its smoking good for you though, that is the most important thing.
I will consider a few more Peterson's myself. My 24 rack three short of being filled, at which point, I will probably stop because it would bug me to have the odd one on another rack.
+1 pete03. Not sure what it is but there is a certain level of satisfaction I get out my Peterson's. Not sure if its the nostalgia or what. They just smoke a certain way that I like.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Hey thanks guys - I appreciate the feedback.
do you mean the airway hole in the bowl was lower than, thus boring into, the briar at the heel of the pipe? If so, that can be a PITA to clean (but some of Bradley's fireplace mortar cement can fill that).
Precisely.
So far the pipe cleaner hits is straight on and pushes into the bowl. I don't expect it to be an issue, but pipe mud should do the trick if I need it.
It is a shame that Peterson does not listen to it's customers and refuses to inspect their pipes before leaving the factory
+1
I don't understand what the problem is.
Not sure if its the nostalgia or what.
+1
They also have a style that just appeals to me.
And I can honestly say that they smoke easily as well as my Sav and Stanwells (Q/C issues notwithstanding). And this Kapp - at least after only two smokes, is actually in my top 3.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Six I had an Edwards that I was opening up airway, drill bit wallowed down and I could not see it comeing out the heel of the bowl , after measuring the length and scratching my head I figured hole was below the original hole, took a deep breath and said well lets see, went in 45 degrees inside of bowl toward the shank and crossed my fingers , when it went thru my heart pumped hard, I had not gone thru the bowl and had connected with the hole I drilled, the reason I"m telling you this is because I believe the reason it smoked so good is because of the lower drill, My old Edwards is a smoking machine, don"t screw with it, you got a good smoking machine.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
the reason I"m telling you this is because I believe the reason it smoked so good is because of the lower drill, My old Edwards is a smoking machine, don"t screw with it, you got a good smoking machine.
Thanks a lot Bradley - that is really good to know.

Jan 8, 2013
My Pete (my one and only) is probably my best smoker. I love my Nordings (which are good smokers too) and my Bjarne and the rest... I have no real gripes about any of my pipes (I guess I've been blessed), but my Peterson St. Patty's Day 2013 is a dream. I haven't bought any other pipes in a few months now, but I still shop around the sites on line, looking. Petes and Nordings are always the first I look for. I do plan on picking up more Petes in the future for sure. Thinking about a Christmas 2013 when they come out. And I've already made a promise to myself that St. Patty's Day pipes will be an annual tradition for me.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks guys very much. I have to say, every time I go to choose a pipe, I have to force myself not to smoke this Kapp just so I can let it rest!
My Pete (my one and only) is probably my best smoker
That's great to hear Anthony.
This particular Pete surprised me. I expected it to perform as well as my other Petes, but not as well as my Dunhills!

Status
Not open for further replies.