PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

linkdead

Lurker
Jul 5, 2013
I just picked this up off eBay and while I'm pretty sure I paid too much for it ($160) but I was looking for a meerschaum and really like the churchwarden style AND the claw types I've been seeing Mr. Brog is offering in pear wood and this pipe had all three aspects in one pipe! I had the seller perform the moist finger test and he said it absorbed the water like magic so I'm hopeful it is block and not powder but no markings for a maker are visible.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Congrats on the new pipe. If it is a good quality pipe, I don't think you paid too much for it. In fact I think you got a bit of a deal for a highly carved pipe. I have seen meerschaum go for much more. The biggest issue on pipes like the one you got is the knuckles / joints of the extra long stem. Make sure they are good and tight, other wise it could fall apart while you are smoking it. The long pipe is not my style, but I do have an eagle claw CAO Meer that I really like.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
link: Very nice. I'm not a churchwarden guy, but I love, love meers.
I have seven and counting. If that turns out to be a good smoker for you, you definitely didn't pay too much.
I have a very small carved calabash, not near the size of that warden. It was just as much and one-fourth the size.
In the meantime, check out the MeerschaumStore.com, a sponsor here. They have excellent quality meers and good prices.
Congrats.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
If you want that thing to color like you've been smoking it for a decade, use a coloring bowl from its first smoke on. It won't work if you've already smoked it. Did it with my Sevket and it's got a nice even beige hue blushing over it after less than a dozen bowls. And with that long shank, you're gonna need all the help you can get; that's if you're looking for that kind of thing. If not, just fill her up, smoke, and enjoy!
Great looking pipe, by the way!

linkdead

Lurker
Jul 5, 2013
Tennsmoker thanks for the link! I'm already drooling over some of them!
Samanden, I have not smoked it yet, I think it came in the mail today though. I would like it to color well and look forward to every bowl I put toward it. I've not heard of a coloring bowl so I'll google that and see if I can afford it. Thanks for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.