PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
Hey everyone! I've been snooping around Ebay for a little while hoping to get some old pipes for a decent price and I learned that I have quite the affinity for old Kaywoodies, Yello-Boles, and Dr Grabows. The other day I spied an absolutely BEAUTIFUL old Yello-Bole and my wife told me that we had to have it. Anyway, I managed to snag it at the last second. I ended up paying about $10 more for it than I had originally wanted, but it truly is worth what I paid for it to me. Also, it'll be my wife's pipe, since her birthday is very soon. I'll post a picture now and I'll share more when I have it in hand in a week or so.
yello-bole.jpg

pipedreams101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2012
Thats a very nice yello-bole. You have a date on it? It looks vintage, and i bet it will be a good smoker...

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
From what I'm reading on the Ebay description, it's between '34 and '36. Maybe someone with some knowledge of dating Yello-Boles will chime in?

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
Thanks everyone. I have a 80-90's Yello-Bole Brylon shaped almost the same way. Feels pretty good in the hand. I'm also looking at a Kaywoodie Chinrester that is dying to be in my collection.
And as far as the stem color goes, I thought it matched perfectly with the stain of the pipe.

pipedreams101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2012
I think it does, and at that age it is probably bakelite. You did good at that. I like those "drug-store" brands. especially when they arent brylon. Wish all would return to briar. I see alot of nice new yello-bole styles that are made of brylon and just turn me off because of it. With the briar being common place these days you would think brylon would be a thing of the past. I guess some people still like brylon for some reason......

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I'm not sure about all Brylon pipes, but the one that I have burns hot to the touch and I feel would be more enjoyable to a clencher. And I also dislike the fact that there is no grain whatsoever on it. I also seem to be having trouble building a layer of cake on it despite have smoked 10+ full bowls all the way to the heel.

pipedreams101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2012
I have one brylon yello bole and i hate it. Its very hard to build a cake in it and smokes very hot and wet. I keep it as a back up (and im sorta a hoarder lol) but its not in my rotation and i wouldnt give the thing away just on principal lol.

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I jut don't understand what the benefit of Brylon is. The brylon pipes aren't all that much cheaper, and they have all these negative qualities.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I love the look of old american made pipes. Nice find on that one. It is also awesome that your wife said you needed it. Lucky, lucky man.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have two estate pipes made from brylon. One is in a drawer unused(due to the negative effect of brylon)the other is in the stand(my FIL's old pipe)and smoke the same way.
I hate 'em.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
New Yello-Bole briar pipes are not widely available in my experience, but I found one, a push bit in the Checker series, a panel/billiard/pot? I like the old time American factory pipe look, and after five or more years, it has proved a good durable smoker. This is briar. I think Brylon pipes were discontinued fairly recently, but one or two Forums members praised them for their sure durability and washability in dirty work places, like fire clean-up. I always heard they were heavy, hot, and usually a put-off to new pipe smokers. They were priced really low. Bryson is a synthetic introduced in the 1960's I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.