Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skip from The Briary called me back as soon as he returned from the Chicago show. He had a whole batch of be Regina Scarlotta pipes (Red Queen). I had told him to keep an eye out for an exquisite Dublin, and there were a couple in this batch, as well as a poker and a few apples. The grain was outstanding, best contrast staining I have ever seen. But, this one Dublin caught my eye. It was left unpolished but the stain reminded me a little of Neerup, but with a satiny clarity and color that pops. I was wow'd.
47987E02-BE06-4F87-87B3-F4888ED13E49_zpsyfad3zqy.jpg

This was a month or so back, I know, but I had been waiting to get my camera back from the repair shop to get better pictures of it. But, I got tired of waiting and just snapped a few with my phone. So far, after smoking this for a month, it's about the best smoker I've had. Even with thin walls, it never gets hot or even very warm. It stays lit for over ten minutes when I set it down, and even though it's a pencil thin shank and crisp Dublin shaped, it sets. I can just set it down on the bench and it stays upright. It's quickly becoming my favorite.
Regina Scarlottas aren't exactly new. They are artisan made by one guy out of Italy. I haven't heard of him, but Skip seems to be keeping an eye on him, and has quite a selection. If you guys don't beat me to it, I may just buy the other black sandblasted Dublin in his case.
A7B550DF-3598-41F3-9CF6-D415EE10B6A8_zpscoetdal8.jpg

Thanks for looking...

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
AWESOME!!! I saw some of those the last time I was in. Brilliant pipes! Especially at that price! I ALMOST walked out with a billiard. Congrats! That's a stunner for sure! Wish I could've seen it in person! My surgery is this Monday and I've not been doing well. Hopefully this surgery fixes things enough that I'll no longer be home bound.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That pencil thin shank, and that ring blast are exquisite! Light as a feather I would guess?

Yep, I forgot to mention that it's light enough to forget that I have it clenched. I accidentally walked through the entire grocer the other day, was in the dairy before I realized that I was still smoking. The manager gave me a thumbs up though, ha ha. I'm so happy to live where people love pipe smokers.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
It's scarlet queen.Red is rosso. I'm sure there's a reason for the difference but I'll be damned if I can find it. I see the briary is pricing these at the US (aka FU) rates as other NA vendors. Italian vendors sell these pipes at $100 less, shipping and duties included, which is typical. At least it's not as bad as the fleecing you face when buying a Castello in the US.

Scarlet, red, rouge or whatever girlie difference you want to point out. It's all red to me. People probably do call them Scarlet Queens. But, it just sounds like a home decorator's differentiation to me. Ha ha.

If you don't like the prices, good, shop elsewhere. Pipes jump off the shelves there so fast, I barely have time to transfer my funds before the pipe has been sold out from under me.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Don't pretend you can't spot the difference, or that you haven't spent hours dialing in the exact right shade on a piece of jewelry at some point. What can I say about Italian pipes other than I like a deal and have an allergy to paying retail.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
You can find them cheaper internationally. So what? You got an awesome pipe that you love.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I'd like proof that Italian vendors are selling these at $100 less. His pipes have really taken off this past year and are becoming difficult to acquire. I talked with Skip from The Briary yesterday and along with the Pipkins, they are his new favorite pipe maker.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
One of my friends has two Scarlotta pipes, beautiful but his are too big for my taste. Yours looks perfect in size and shape - what is the weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.