PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
Hi all,
I just thought I would show pics some of my "new" pipes I got off that auction site. They are not restored (at least until I get my shipment with my stem brush and reamer from Cup O' Joe's) and are in fairly rough shape.
First, a Kaywoodie Supergrain 80B This one has a 4-hole stinger and the Supergrain above the Kaywoodie. I am working on getting an approximate date.
kaywoodie-80b-side-600x450.jpg

The stinger is in rough shape but that's to be expected.
kaywoodie-80b-stinger-600x450.jpg

And here's a detail shot of the Supergrain logo.
kaywoodie-80b-supergrain-detail-600x450.jpg

The second pipe is a Kaywoodie Supergrain 14 with the same logo and 4-hole stinger
kaywoodie-14-600x450.jpg

The third is a Kirsten M with "PATS. & PATS. PEND. MADE IN USA." The stem and bowl come off well but the end cap is stuck and it looks like somebody took a pair of pliers to it.
kirsten-side-600x450.jpg

I also got a Willard, a Venturi, a USTCO, a Brewster, and a Rogers Select in the shipment. I think I did all right for $32 plus shipping. I have a few more coming, including a Pioneer Meerschaum and an MPB Brebbia, and I will post pics when I get them.
Thanks for looking,

Sou

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I love my kaywoodie. When I got mine the stinger was in the same condition. Alcohol got it looking brand new.

Aug 1, 2012
Just got the end cap off the Kirsten with a mallet and a dowel. Now to figure out if I need to do anything to the bottom the bowl after I ream the cake.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Nice job Sou. You've got some great examples of American pipe history there and probably will clean up and be great smokers too. Be sure to post some pics after the refurb.

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks Mike. I will post "after" pictures when they become available. It might be a bit since I will be practicing on the cheaper pipes and work my way to the "better" pipes. It was part of the method to the madness to get a range of inexpensive pipes to learn restoration and then move to higher end pipes when I have more money in a few months. PAD is a cruel mistress.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Not a problem. Smoking pipes or restoring them for that matter is all about taking your time and enjoying the process. :puffy:

Aug 1, 2012
Here's the Rogers...
rogers-select-pipe-600x450.jpg

...and it's mangled stem.
rogers-stem-1-600x450.jpg

rogers-stem-2-600x450.jpg

rogers-stem-3-600x450.jpg

I hope the USTCO (US Tobacco Co. from what I can find) is not worth much because my cat just knocked it off the cabinet and the tenon snapped. It seems to be in the same vein as a Willard for quality/demand.
Sou

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Should have some fun restoring those pipes! Hope they treat you well friend!

Happy puffing! :puffy:

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Nice grab. What are your plans for the stem on that Roger?
I only ask because I've got a estate with the same problem.

damnyak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2012
Northern, Ontario. Canada
Watch how you ream that Kristen, they are a particular shape. They had their own special reamer. I just brought two back to life, Thanks gosh there was not alot of cake, but they were heavily gunked up.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks for the Rogers pix. That stem looks like a candidate for the superglue repair technique:

http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2012/07/14/rebuilding-a-chewed-and-dented-stem-with-super-glue/

will

Might Stick Around
Jul 8, 2012
Some real nice looking pipes.

I have 4 old Kaywoodies and they are great smokers and faves of mine.

Looks like they all should clean up well.

Aug 1, 2012
Watch how you ream that Kristen...They had their own special reamer.
I noticed the strange shape but never thought of a specialized reamer. Guess it will have to wait until I can order one.
What are your plans for the stem on that Roger?
I am still researching ways to deal with it. The superglue technique looks like it might be a viable option.
Jameral, thanks for the tip. Thanks to everybody for the positive and helpful responses. They make me more excited to get to the restorations. Still have a bit of research left though.
Another question. When I'm working on the stems for the kaywoodies, what soak should I use? I have a specialized cleaner similar to oxyclean but I hear that's bad for the aluminum. Will bleach be a better option for them?
Thanks,

Sou

Aug 1, 2012
Received another pipe today. Only $10 so if it is crap I'm not out much. One side of the shank says "Pigskin" over "Meerschaum Lined", the other says "Imported briar" over "Italy". Not sure the brand since it isn't on pipephil but maybe somebody on here has seen the shank stamp.
pigskin-pipe-1-600x450.jpg

And the logo
pigskin-pipe-logo-600x450.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.