PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

realfloopyguy

Lurker
Jun 11, 2015
It was a $19.95 with 6 ounces of tobacco special from pipesandcigars.com. It is my first briar pipe and my second ever. I have a MM corn cob. I had to poke the wood out from the end of the hole they drilled since it wasn't all the way through. The tennon wasn't attached to the stem. I'm not sure if it was intended to be, but I get the feeling that it was. Do I need to superglue it in there or something? It is marked CP Germany on the shank. The wood seems ok but overall the pipe seems kind of cheap. I am going to be getting a nicer one soon, but I figured with the tobacco that I was basically get a free pipe. I intended to order just different basic tobaccos but I got 10 types of tobacco and a briar for something like $34 shipped.
20150619_175243.jpg.html

20150619_175237.jpg.html

I think that is glue in there that didn't hold.
20150619_175225.jpg.html

It looks like the hole is off center. To the left.
20150619_175219.jpg.html

20150619_175205.jpg.html

The wood seems OK. The bowl seems poorly finished at the top but ok inside. There are a couple small dark places that look like a stain in the wood maybe. I don't like the color of it. I will likely change that. I do a lot of woodworking on rifles and I think I might enjoy refinishing pipes in the same way.
20150619_175157.jpg.html

20150619_175125.jpg.html

realfloopyguy

Lurker
Jun 11, 2015
Don't mind my dirty and mutilated fingers. I couldn't find CP Germany searching on google. Pipesandcigars.com calls it a Castillero pipe in the description.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Is it me or is the heel of the bowl flat? The pics make the bottom of the bowl look flat. I would return it as damaged as the tenon should be attached to the bit. Also the hole wasn't drilled properly. I would take the $19 you get in credit and buy a couple more cobs. I have 4 briars and 3 are basket pipes but I still gravitate to my cobs. I have seven cobs.

realfloopyguy

Lurker
Jun 11, 2015
The $19.99 I paid for it was for the pipe, 6 ounces of tobacco(captain black sampler) a tool, a bag of cleaners, and a pipe pouch. I mostly bought it for the tobacco. This is what I got: Bulkhead Captain Black Starter Kit
The heel isn't flat.
I'm not sure it is worth sending back. I think I would like to try to salvage it if at all possible. Or at least practice restraining them. I don't like like colored wood usually.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I'm sorry, I misunderstood...yea your right. Keep it and fix it up. And I would probably use a touch of superglue to attach the tenon to the bit. Run a pipe cleaner through the bit and tenon so the glue doesn't clog the hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.