PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
I bought a few replacement stems this week for my only cob. While I was there I decided to pick up a Country Gentleman as everyone seems to really like them. I also got a fancy stem for it.
20161008_093127_zpsfdiqczez.jpg

The stem had some slag so I broke out the micro mesh to get it finished off. After that I put a little bend, a little polish, and it is ready to go.
20161008_105255_zpshvjr8sim.jpg

I see some plaster and paint in the bowl. Is this a big deal? Is there anything I should do before I light it up? I ask because my first cob got soft on the bottom.

May 4, 2015
I see some plaster and paint in the bowl. Is this a big deal? Is there anything I should do before I light it up? I ask because my first cob got soft on the bottom.
You could sand the chamber a bit if you're concerned. Not necessary, though. After a smoke or two the chamber will carbonize over and you shouldn't notice it.
As far as the bottom, the country gent and many other "upper end" cobs have hardwood plugs in the bottom to prevent the bottom getting soggy and blowing out.
You can YouTube corn cob pipe mud. It's a good method to smooth out and solidify the cob chamber. I don't do it, purely out of laziness. It works great.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The CG is a good pipe with a good-sized bowl. I went with a Danish stem like yours on one, and a vulcanite Freehand stem on another. Both work well for me, but the Danish gives a better draft, IMHO. The cob that got spongy on you, was it one with a hardwood plug, or natural bottom?
The stuff in the bowl probably won't even be noticeable when you smoke it; I'd just fill and smoke. Enjoy!

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Ha, yes I have a burley working its way to the bottom. This is different than smoking my Rob Roy legend. It is larger and has a really open draw.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I like the open draw myself, but if you don't prefer it, a Forever Stem or MM Freehand stem will tighten the draw for you.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
I like the draw. It reminds me of my Excelsior Canadian. I'm not, however, liking this burley. It is some I got from wallgreens... I may have to run out and get some Carter Hall.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
I usually sand out the inside of new MMs a bit, but I agree it's not necessary. I just think the first couple bowls taste better that way.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
So Carter Hall is out because I have some at the office; and I am too lazy to leave the house today. I have these available right now:
Elizabethan Mixture

Colonial Edwards

H&H Capitol Stairs

Hyde Park

MacBaren Modern Virginia

Robert McConnell Mature Special London Rough

Peter Stokkebye Alsbo Gold

Peter Stokkebye 1855 Erick Peters Blend

Boswells Aro

Smokers Haven Select Mixture - smells like ketchup

Lane 1Q

Bulk Superior Slice

Bulk Perique

Villeger 1888

Morningside Golden 527

1792 Flake

Braken Flake
Which of these do you suggest for the cob?

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
I think I will do the slice or ketchup- burley not doing it for me at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.