PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
ingo-garbe-hh130-1-150x100.jpg

Ingo Garbe is my most favorite pipemaker. I think the classic shape of this one is absolutely gorgeous. If I had the money, I would fly to where the pipe is, inspect it more closely and buy it. Approx $1500 is a steal for this one (in my opinion)

For those people who want to see the other sides of the pipe, here is the link

https://www.tecon-gmbh.de/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=112&products_id=9692

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Nice work, I especially like the finish

Yes, I love the finish. It is like the top coat of a Charatan Distinction. The Distinction had a background spirit stain of black, burnt into the grain and then stripped off, leaving a darker grained background (to bring out the grain as it where). This one has no real back ground stain as the grain is already there and there are hopefully no sandspots to hide. I will be showing Barry Jones the photo of this pipe soon - I love to watch his body language when I show him stuff like this!

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
This pipe was gifted to me by @shikano53, Chris made it himself and did a great job, great smoker and it has a place of honor in my rotation

imag0360-428x600.jpg

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
this one is my pretty girl

What a lovely shape. Ingo Garbe's styling especially around the 'kneck' of the bowl is what I love best about his pipes. Lovely pouch as well!

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

That's a fine looking pipe Ken. Brad, your girl is most certainly pretty as well. Both are very nice looking pipes. There was a gentleman at one of the Columbus shows who had an entire table of Garbe pipes. There must have been 50 of them? He told me he was the foremost collector of Garbe pipes in the world. I have no idea what his name was, but he knew his stuff and I believed him. It was quite a site seeing all those pipes laid out next to each other. I would like to someday own one myself.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
These pipes begin with the knowhow of finding briar with this level of grain. Then you have to have the mastery to fully develop that in the finishing. For me, it would be a little heart breaking to smoke such a pipe, for fear of charring the brim or nicking the stem, but it would be a thrill. Like I'm not sure if I'd want to take a spin in a Bugatti.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I too enjoy the natural beauty of wood grain in all its various alignments. Bringing out the grain sometimes means applying a dye to the softer parts, I think, first, that brings out its contrast to that which is impervious.

That's not always how its done, I'm sure, but seems sometimes it is.

Here's another from the same website and the first I found. I'd call this one as nice grain, too.

Tom%20Spanu%20HH155%206.jpg

Tom%20Spanu%20HH155%202.jpg

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
For me, it would be a little heart breaking to smoke such a pipe, for fear of charring the brim or nicking the stem, but it would be a thrill.
I agree with mso, at least mostly. I have seen some drop dead gorgeous pipes lately and it struck me that it would be very difficult to build up the nerve to smoke any of em. Some pipes, to me, are right on the line between function and art, where others are wholly on the 'art' side of the spectrum. Not to say they wouldn't smoke beautifully, but they deserve to be preserved and displayed like any other medium of fine art. At least that's my feeling today.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Wow, I did not see this one on the site. This one has some seriously tight and wonderful grain. The birdseye top of this one is breathtakingly STUNNING.

Status
Not open for further replies.