PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I would love to have a black morta, and have looked from time to time but found nothing that appeals under $400. I think it's because I just don't like the graining in oak, which most (or all) mortas seem to be made of.

If there were blasts or rusticated ones in most any traditional shape, where the oak grain was largely disguised, I'd love to know where. (Nose warmers are out for me as well)

opus777

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 12, 2018
beautiful blast to me as well. I almost pulled the trigger on a Radice morta with an orange bit from SP a couple weeks ago, little regret now.

Jul 12, 2011
I had also been looking for awhile, I think finding the correct shape that pairs well with the Morta blast is key here, at least it was for me.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I was hesitant to get a morta, until Ryan Alden made me one. It's a reverse calabash with the typical graining pattern, but it smokes like a house on fire.
If you can't find one. Have an artisan make one.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Can you say anything about the grain of blasted morta and why you don't like it? I've always found it very different from briar, appearing regular and almost mathematically apparent.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Smooth Mortas are definitely out there. Moretti kinda does the best imho. Examples below.
bfbac3cdec5d44a54b4aa14e88dd0fef.jpg

morett16.jpg

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have two Moretti Morta pipes, one smooth, one blast. I have 9 Moretti pipes total and am very satisfied with every one. He regularly he morta wood pipes for sale on eBay that go from $110 to $140.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
I have a blasted Moretti morta pipe. I find the stem a hint on the thick side and not massively comfortable to clench but the pipe is an excellent smoker, compared to the other morta pipes I own it smoked surprisingly neutral from the first bowl.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks, gents.
I simply don't like the graining in oak, be it furniture or pipes. Oak panelling in 500 year old buildings is great, but don't have either one!
Smooth mortas are worse than lightly blasted ones. If there were a deep blast black morta, I'd love to see one.
And I thought about having Ryan make one, but it's the finish I am finicky about. It may be that morta won't take the type of blast that would hide the grain.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I were shopping morta, I'd look for lighter weight, hence smaller pipes, maybe small-medium. Maybe it's just old teeth, but heavy pipes get smoked less often.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Papipeguy has a spiffy sandblasted Rhodesian somewhere in his rack. I think blasted morta looks pretty good. It's supposedly lighter than briar.

usrkain47

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2017
Tennessee
I second Askwith. He made my birthday bulldog morta this year and it’s a fine smoking machine. I’ll definitely be back for another from him. Also exceptionally nice to commission work from.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
That is a dang good looking Askwith for sure !

I don't think you'll ever get away from the Oak grain though, it is consistent even through the blasting process. The only thing I've seen that was out of the ordinary for a Morta finish is a couple Steve Norse did where he filled the grain with some sort of white filler so it came out looking Zebra striped. But that wasn't hiding the grain, it was actually highlighting it !

I guess the only other thing I can think of is a Calabash insert style pipe, where the Bowl itself is morta but the body of the pipe is a different material.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Many thanks, Ryan. I guess my morta dreams are over, but better the dreams be dashed than months of fruitless looking and hoping.
John

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Yep, Morta is always going to have the rings prominent. Even rusticated, I imagine you would still see the Oak grain. I don't think I've ever seen one rusticated though.

Status
Not open for further replies.