PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
So from day one on here I have heard what a dreadful, blend from hell, Mixture 79 is. Last week I was at the B+M checking on how my new Meer was coming along and I spied a pouch on the shelf and figured that I just had to give this a try. The first bowl was....... Not great. It was bone dry, very floral taste that I didn't mind at all but smoked hot as all get out. I re-hydrated it and tried another small bowl and still found it..... wrong.... not bad just not great. Then I decided to try something different, the Mixture itself is a rather fine cut and I knew I had some PS Virginia Long Cut in the cellar from when I was experimenting with Virginias so I mixed the two together at about a 50/50 ratio. The Long Cut is essentially a roll-your-own fine cut pure Virginia and mixed nicely in with the Mixture 79. The moisture was good, the floral smell of the Mixture was lessened a bit and now it had a nice grassy undertone to it. I loaded a bowl in one of my Zenith double wall clay pipes and gave it a try. The results were much better then Mixture alone. I still got the soapy lakeland flavor along with muted virginia grassy-ness as well, I even caught a little bit of the "Dr.Pepper" flavors on the backside of the bowl.

While it was tasty its not something that I plan to smoke daily, but it will be an interesting blend to have now and then as a change-up tobacco.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
blueeye', this is a noble experiment. I think your satisfaction would be greater starting with a blend that is at least appreciated in its own right by most pipe smokers such as Carter Hall or Prince Albert, but your effort proves that a so-so blend can be enhanced when mixed. Mixture 79 has hung around for eons and seems to find a market. Some folks must find it a sure-bet daily smoke. Whether this is from not trying other blends or simply from a certain taste set, I don't know. I hope you can get through the pouch mixing a little here and a little there, but I wouldn't be stubborn; if it's just no fun anymore, slip it in the trash "while you're not looking."

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I think your satisfaction would be greater starting with a blend that is at least appreciated in its own right by most pipe smokers such as Carter Hall or Prince Albert

Don't get me wrong, I have both Carter Hall and Prince Albert in my cellar and enjoy both as Burley blends. I am predominantly a Virginia smoker but I like trying new things and a few months ago I got a pouch of Condor that I very much enjoyed and now I'm dipping my big toe in the Lakeland spectrum of tobaccos. I know Mixture 79 is a poor example of Lakeland tobacco and I'm looking forward to adding some Gawith Hoggarth Best Brown #2 to my next mail order but it was just sitting there at my B+M looking all sad and pathetic between the tins of McClellands and MacBaren tobaccos so I took a shot at it. lol

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
While I don't particularly like the 79 I'll take it over Ennerdale (a true Lakeland) any day of the week.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I smoke Mixture 79 on a regular basis and have enjoyed it. It's certainly a love it/hate it blend in the pipe smoking world, but it must be enjoyed by many pipe smokers since it is still being produced. I've never mixed it with anything else but your suggestion has me curious. I do dedicate some cobs and some briars to it because it will permanently ghost a pipe. I haven't tried the cherry version but I'm tempted.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Mixture 79 is one of the most maligned blends around; but it's still around. It's been decades since I've smoked it. It certainly has staying power and it had made John Middleton the wealthiest person in Pennsylvania. Speaks volumes to me.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
If the thought of lighting your grandmothers purse on fire and smoking it sounds good, then you should love 79.
I commend you for your courage.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
If the thought of lighting your grandmothers purse on fire and smoking it sounds good, then you should love 79.
I commend you for your courage.

Could be dangerous...... Grandma keeps a bottle of her special "tonic" in her purse!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.